Did QuikTrip lose its Top Tier rating?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are lots of educated people on this forum discussing real scientific data.
I was being snarky for sure, but Technically it does make a difference.
The research and references on gasoline additives is extensive. There are thousands of forum topics on it.
There is an EPA mandated minimum in all gasoline (for good reason), Top Tier is a step above.

Here is one such reference that was easy to find:

Here's one on a specific additive written by moderators of this forum:

I don't believe "top teir" is a gimmick, but I still wanted to see others' opinions.

As far as additives like PEA, it would take a lot more than one Gumout sponsored test to convince me of PEA's effectiveness. I use it but only because I'm going along with the very popular groupthink that insinuates it is legitimate. To your point, if the bitog bunch didn't like it like they do I wouldn't use it. Frankly the only way I could obtain legitimate proof it works is if I put it in a dozen cars, ran them and pulled the heads off them myself. :)

I just don't put it past anyone anymore to be competent and trustworthy. Too much fake news!

A forum slap full of anecdotal opinion seldom backed up by proof as per the above statement. I'd just like to see some studies where the product(s) were tested thoroughly and a demonstrable, repeatable affect was observed.
There are standard testing procedures. The Top Tier testing requirements are published and repeatable, and I believe similar to the EPA required testing requirements. They require a test of non-detergent fuel to establish that there is a minimum amount of deposits that will be left on intake valves and injectors.

www.toptiergas.com/documents/18/TOP_TIER_Detergent_Gasoline_Performance_Standard_revF_2019-12.pdf

I don't believe "top teir" is a gimmick, but I still wanted to see others' opinions.

It's a performance standard. There's already a requirement for fuel to meet minimum EPA standards. Top Tier uses pretty much the same tests, but has a requirement for lower level of deposits.

Today I got in my car to find that I was low on fuel. With that discovery, I added a stop at QuikTrip to the day's itinerary. Good ol' reliable Top Tier Quiktrip fuel. Except, while filling, I noticed that all mentions of Top Tier on the pump were covered with black tape. I glanced around to find that every pump was altered in the same way. With QT being one of the first retailers to get the TT rating, this came as a surprise.

QuikTrip still appears (twice) on the official list of Top Tier retailers, so this must be a recent development (or a fluke). Has anyone else seen/heard anything?
Saw the same black tape on QT stations in NC last week.

Lose or no longer participate.

Just some random checking, looking at https://quiktrip.com/Gasoline, today the site doesn't mention Top Tier

Looking at the same site two years ago, in the FAQ on the same page, there is a pull down for Top Tier.

Ditto for about a year ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20201112002807/https://www.quiktrip.com/Gasoline

Sometime in the last year, the website changed and Top Tier is no longer mentioned.

I suspect they don't push Top Tier as their big initiative seems to be food prepared to order in the stores.

This is disappointing news. The nearby OT has been my preferred gas source for many years. Convenience, price, and Top Tier rating are all factors in using them. There are no Top Tier rated stations as conveniently located and the pricing is higher. Maybe at this point, I should just buy gas at Kroger and Sam's Club and get a little discount since they are not out of the way and occasionally buy at a Top Tier station with good pricing when I am out.

Murphy oil has built several stations near me. They are not on the Top Tier web site, so I sent them an email and ask them about that. Their response was, "Murphy USA is considered Top Tier gas, we jus do not pay to be advertised as such".

Murphy oil has built several stations near me. They are not on the Top Tier web site, so I sent them an email and ask them about that. Their response was, "Murphy USA is considered Top Tier gas, we jus do not pay to be advertised as such".

Top Tier is a licensed, trademarked brand. It's not just whether or not they pay the licensing fee and maybe pay for the testing, although the testing is usually already provided by the additive company. I suppose what they told you is under the radar, but if they started talking to reporters in that fashion, they'd get cease and desist messages from Top Tier Gas lawyers.

There have been plenty of companies that did meet a superior standard and probably will meet the Top Tier performance requirements, but for whatever reason chose not to participate. Costco had their "Clean Power" system with on-site additive system that they claimed was 5x that of EPA minimums. Back then they gave a bunch of excuses, but never flat out claimed that they somehow met the Top Tier performance standard. They even said that they would consider it at a future date. As soon as the system was installed at every Costco gas station, they changed the name to "Kirkland Signature Gasoline". However, the assumption was that stations without the equipment setup were just using generic LAC (lowest additive concentration) levels just to meet EPA minimum requirements. But they were obviously set up and ready with a license agreement that was contingent on meeting that requirement to provide additive at a certain level that met the performance requirement.

BP had been recommended by BMW by name before, and I'd find it hard to believe that they wouldn't meet the performance standard. There's nothing that had to be unique of getting place on the Top Tier list other than a reassurance of meeting their standards, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'd generally assume that independent gas stations only use LAC.

I was bummed recently when I saw the note on the pumps at my normal Citgo about shortages affecting Top Tier. Last time I decided to check out the QR code which led to this page:

698C53AD-9704-43BE-AC05-C50CA674AF98.jpeg

Fortunately I use regular in the Chattanooga area. Makes me think they are being honest to provide this level of detail.

Shame about QT if they end up dropping TT. However, there is a local gas station chain (Spinx) in the upstate SC area that is using Afton's Hi-Tec 6590c additive, but not flying TT logos. They advertise it specifically in 93, but in talking with tank drivers, they say it gets additized in all grades at the rack but lower levels in the 87. This, they claim, is to meet TT standards while using unbranded spot fuels. Afton Hi-Tec is a Top Tier rated additive when used in proper concentration according to their website.

All drivers said they drive to the additive rack first, then up to the fuel rack next to it. Also of note is that a lot of carriers for various other stations are racking at the same terminal, following the same add protocol. Obviously chemicals additives and concentrations can/are different, but it's not beyond the realm of thinking that in order to cut some cost, quite a few stations are going the same route if they can use unbranded fuels . Maybe QT is doing the same. Haven't seen the tape on the pumps yet.

Shame about QT if they end up dropping TT. However, there is a local gas station chain (Spinx) in the upstate SC area that is using Afton's Hi-Tec 6590c additive, but not flying TT logos. They advertise it specifically in 93, but in talking with tank drivers, they say it gets additized in all grades at the rack but lower levels in the 87. This, they claim, is to meet TT standards while using unbranded spot fuels. Afton Hi-Tec is a Top Tier rated additive when used in proper concentration according to their website.

All drivers said they drive to the additive rack first, then up to the fuel rack next to it. Also of note is that a lot of carriers for various other stations are racking at the same terminal, following the same add protocol. Obviously chemicals additives and concentrations can/are different, but it's not beyond the realm of thinking that in order to cut some cost, quite a few stations are going the same route if they can use unbranded fuels . Maybe QT is doing the same. Haven't seen the tape on the pumps yet.
Spinx is pretty big here in the Low Country as well, I get my E0 87 from them for my small engine and my F150 every now and again.

Just wanted to update this thread, I noticed yesterday the Top Tier labels are now visible again on the QT pumps in metro Atlanta. So I guess all is back to "normal" with that.

Yes, all the QT stations near me removed the black sticker and made the Top Tier logo visible a few months ago. I assume they have secured the additives needed for Top Tier.

Reactions: Deo
Back