Did I screw up by turning down this job?

Subject vehicle: 2006 Land Cruiser. Beautiful specimen: fully loaded, 125k miles, not a spec of rust (which is amazing here in the Midwest). Came in for a general inspection, no specific complaints.

Upon inspection, I found the reservoir for the hydraulic suspension at it's "MIN" level. After lifting, I found the RF and LR shocks leaking fluid, warranting replacement of all 4 shocks. Before I had my service writer bother to quote the job, I looked up the repair procedure. The first step called for draining the system of all it's fluid, replacing the defective shock(s), and refilling the system.

Given that, I declined the job and referred the customer to the dealer. I do believe that I COULD have performed the repair, however I didn't feel comfortable given my lack of knowledge and tendency to cover my behind when it comes to obscure repairs.

Should I have sucked it up, watched a YT tutorial, and tackled the job? Or was I smart to turn it down. I'm far from hurting for work, so lost income isn't a factor.

If you aren't hurting for work, I think you made the smart move. It's one thing if the customer was really in a bind, but if you didn't feel comfortable, trust your gut. I have done similar things and haven't regretted it, and I've also worked on what seemed like simple problems for family that turned into a nightmare.

Sounds like a pretty straightforward repair but an awkward suspension setup. What had you concerned?

You did the right thing. One thing the service industry needs is more people referring work to people who actually know how to do the work.

Thanks guys, that puts my mind at ease. Given that I've been at it for the better part of 20 years, I actually welcome the occasional "odd job" that really tests my skills.

Sounds like a pretty straightforward repair but an awkward suspension setup. What had you concerned?

I agree, the repair seemed fairly straight forward. My concern was less about the R&R and more about my ability to insure the system worked as designed afterwards. Given the need to completely drain the system of it's fluid, refill, bleed, etc. I found it much more likely that a dealer with OE level diagnostic equipment would successfully complete the job with relative ease.

I've worked on my share of goofy suspension's, for sure. Airbags, MagneRide, even the similar yet completely different X-REAS system Toyota used on the 4-Runner. Never a purely hydraulic system.

AHC system.... active headache creator

Newer 4runner Limited with the linked x-reas will be a future nightmare too. Waiting to see who creates the "removal kit".

techstream, gauges, torsion spring adjustments, shock pressure...... not worth the headache unless you already have the tools and practiced(on your own vehicle).

Its never wrong to turn down the job.

Subject vehicle: 2006 Land Cruiser. Beautiful specimen: fully loaded, 125k miles, not a spec of rust (which is amazing here in the Midwest). Came in for a general inspection, no specific complaints.

Upon inspection, I found the reservoir for the hydraulic suspension at it's "MIN" level. After lifting, I found the RF and LR shocks leaking fluid, warranting replacement of all 4 shocks. Before I had my service writer bother to quote the job, I looked up the repair procedure. The first step called for draining the system of all it's fluid, replacing the defective shock(s), and refilling the system.

Given that, I declined the job and referred the customer to the dealer. I do believe that I COULD have performed the repair, however I didn't feel comfortable given my lack of knowledge and tendency to cover my behind when it comes to obscure repairs.

Should I have sucked it up, watched a YT tutorial, and tackled the job? Or was I smart to turn it down. I'm far from hurting for work, so lost income isn't a factor.

I applaud your honesty. My view as a non-shop owner...don't beat yourself up. Remember I'm not a mechanic and I love this vehicle. First run in the noodle was hey man you can learn from this and suck it up. BUT lingering thought is unless you work on these, plan on working on these, ditch it as it will only cause you loss of profit and frustration. If I owned one I would seek a sucker Indy to avoid the rape at the dealer. Don't be this persons B! Pass and be glad. These vehicles are true lux but come with complex headaches.

Im on the fence, always up for learning something new. But then again if could have turned into a costly learning experience which im not always up for...

You did the professional thing. My father in law went in for an endoscopy and the doctor saw a growth near his pancreas. The doctor said that wouldn't try to remove it as it required a special technique that he wasn't comfortable with and referred my father in law to another doctor that was better at this type of surgery. I'm glad the doctor's ego allowed him to put the patient first. You put your client first. People like honesty.

My only worry would be frozen bleeders, the rest is pretty straightforward. I have done these on Citroens which is different animal but a big PITA.

Back