Did I screw up? Amalie X-treme 4T 10w40 Jaso MA, SG oil

Hi,
Wasn't paying attention and purchased a case of 12 quarts of this stuff. I thought It was synthetic but now think it is a conventional oil. Will this be ok to use in my 2022 GT9 Tracer and its wonderful triple 900 engine?

I was thinking of blending 1 quart of ester 10w40 cycle oil with 2.3 quarts of the Amalie to fortify it and do 2k oil change intervals. If this isn't a good idea, would a quart or two in my turbo rzr or my wife's turbo Santa Fe 2.0 be ok each oil change with its API SG rating?

FWIW, I used Rotella 5w40 in my last yammie triple 900 and FZ09 but wanted to switch to a 10w40 because I live in a hotter climate now.

PS: Other things I'm consideirng using this oil in include: Lawn Mower, Pressure washer, 2 inverter generators, and a non-turbo Can Am Maverick.

It's fine if it's conventional. Don't know how an sg rated oil would do in a turbo gdi engine though but putting a quart in shouldn't hurt. I highly doubt it's some group 1/2 garbage like actual sg rated oils used to be. It's probably SG rated just because it's a comfortable rating as I know some people would be spooked by seeing an SN or SP rated 4t oil and think it's bad so they wouldn't buy it. I bet it performs at least as good as an SL or SM rated oil. Probably pure group 2+ based at least.

I'd Just change more frequently and/or mix it with synthetic to make it last longer and use it.

The product should perform OK but of concern is that it is not labeled for any of the approvals that it claims. There is no JASO MA label and not even an API donut. Whether it actually meets any standards is left solely up to the oil company making the claim.

Amalie is a reputable company but I personally would have never purchased this item. Use it in your pressure washer and lawn mower but give the Yamaha something a bit more proven.

Any analysis of similar Amalie oils on this site to get an idea of the additive package?

We have a Santa Fe 2.0T in the house. Something to consider is LSPI with those engines. An SG oil would not fill that bill. Not sure how much of a mix could be too much but I'd stay away from it. Turbo RZR, same thing if it has potential or known issues with LSPI. Not saying it will be a problem, but that's probably $80,000 between those two vehicles.

For the Tracer, doing the mix as you suggest and going 2K on the interval should be fine.

Your Tracer probably calls for Yamalube 10W40 conventional just like the Amalie.

Hope you got a good deal on your bike. Those Tracers are a dime a dozen at my local dealers. They have the same 2-3 2022’s they had for the last 9-12 months on their showroom. I test rode one last summer at a demo event, great engine but the scuba Steve cockpit was a deal breaker for me.

4DFB1809-6C12-406E-9129-F57320047534.jpeg

Your owners manual doesn't sepcify that it has to be synthetic. Just JASO MA and SG. No starburst/energy conserving or slippery additives. Yamaha recommends Yamalube, of course. Yamalube comes in Dino, Semi Syn, and full Syn. They don't say it has to be any particular type.
Page 10-1 (pdf page 110 of 126)
https://manuals.plus/yamaha/2022-ya...ners-manual#2022_yamaha_tracer_9_gt_-_mtt890d

Amalie PDS just says recommend, but here's the API listing for Amalie.
https://engineoil.api.org/Directory...esults?accountId=10073&companyName=Amalie

Amalie is a reputable brand. Amalie isn't listed as JASO approved. If it was given to me, I'd use it in my Yamaha V-twin. Your motor revs higher/makes much more horsepower and may be more demanding of it's oil. Maybe run it 3-4k miles instead of the book 6k?

It's fine if it's conventional. Don't know how an sg rated oil would do in a turbo gdi engine though but putting a quart in shouldn't hurt. I highly doubt it's some group 1/2 garbage like actual sg rated oils used to be. It's probably SG rated just because it's a comfortable rating as I know some people would be spooked by seeing an SN or SP rated 4t oil and think it's bad so they wouldn't buy it. I bet it performs at least as good as an SL or SM rated oil. Probably pure group 2+ based at least.

I'd Just change more frequently and/or mix it with synthetic to make it last longer and use it.
MSDS for it says "Distillates (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic Carc. Cat. 2 " To me that smells like a Group 1 basestock. I'm going to put 1 bottle of it in each oil change of my wife's Santa Fe 2.0T. I'm not too concerned about LSPI in it since I now run 91 octane and we don't let lug it much anymore and are gentle on throttle till it hits 2k rpm. On top of that, I basically have a lifetime warranty on the engine and the second 2.0 GDI engine has so far outlived the first one in it. Rest of oil gonna go to lawnmower, gas generators, pressure washer where 25 hour oil changes are the norm. I run 0w30 in my other Hyundai, an Elantra and may dump a quart of it during each oil change. The elantra oil gets changed every 200 hours and the Santa Fe gets changed every 100 hours due to fuel dilution that exceeds 10%

Your Tracer probably calls for Yamalube 10W40 conventional just like the Amalie.

Hope you got a good deal on your bike. Those Tracers are a dime a dozen at my local dealers. They have the same 2-3 2022’s they had for the last 9-12 months on their showroom. I test rode one last summer at a demo event, great engine but the scuba Steve cockpit was a deal breaker for me.

View attachment 137580

Dash doesn't bother me though to me it looks like the guy from the movie UP with his glasses and big nose. I got the bike for 12,500 with a 4 year warranty. I think I got a good deal on it and the bike is MUCH better than the FZ09 it replaced....that **** thing was too hooligan for me with its short wheelie inducing wheelbase.

I was thinking of blending 1 quart of ester 10w40 cycle oil with 2.3 quarts of the Amalie to fortify it and do 2k oil change intervals. If this isn't a good idea, would a quart or two in my turbo rzr or my wife's turbo Santa Fe 2.0 be ok each oil change with its API SG rating?

We all mix because during oil change up to 6.8% is left behind to
contaminate the new oil... the more changes the more mixing...

Chemically speaking the mixing oils beyond change is a crap shoot because
the risk of upsetting the balance of additives...

Blackstone Labs Scientists...
"Usually, at least several of these additives will be synergistic. That
is, they react mutually, in groups of two or more, to create an effect
that none of them could attain individually. Changing or adding to
this formula can upset the balance and negate the protective effect
the formula was meant to achieve, even if you are only adding more of
something that was already included in the initial package."

^^^ "Blackstone Lab Scientists" ... 😄

Guess it's time to completely tear down and clean out the engine guts at every oil change.

Back