Did I lowball the guy or was I reasonable?

Being curious isn’t being emotional. I certainly don’t feel like they owed me that car at the price of my choosing. It would, however be helpful to know in case I need to recalibrate my negation expectations. I remain surprised I didn’t get it at $7100. Clearly the manager made the right call because they found someone else willing to pay more within a few hours.

When I look at a listing I automatically do some mental math to arrive at a true on-the-road price. In this case my mental math was apparently flawed. I would like to know how far off I was as a data point in case this becomes a pattern.
The last two times that I bought a car for myself I missed out on a few cars beforehand. In both instances I eventually ended up in a car that I liked much better than the ones that got away.

I agree 100% regarding the brake light flasher; I don't want some so-called "tech" hacking into a factory wiring harness. I won't even consider a car that has one of asinine pieces of junk installed.
There is an increasing number of dealerships where they slap one on before it goes on the lot. I guess they get enough people who don’t question it that it’s worth the effort. And it gives them something to bargain away. Their initial offer to me for this car had the $899 flasher plus an additional $399 in stuff they had poured in the gas, oil,and coolant.

There is an increasing number of dealerships where they slap one on before it goes on the lot. I guess they get enough people who don’t question it that it’s worth the effort. And it gives them something to bargain away. Their initial offer to me for this car had the $899 flasher plus an additional $399 in stuff they had poured in the gas, oil,and coolant.

There's a gazillion used cars out there, this certainly isn't a one of a kind collector car. Slapping a brake light flasher on that's 10% of the sale price is just the ultimate in slimeball moves.

Probably belongs in its own post - but are brake light flahsers even legal? I always thought flashing lights were for stopped or emergency vehicles. Not trying to start an argument - legitimate question.

As for the sale - yes they sold it to someone. Maybe getting to work Monday was more important to him than you. Like fish in the sea - another one will be along shortly - have no remorse.

but are brake light flahsers even legal? I always thought flashing lights were for stopped or emergency vehicles.
I didn't pay much attention to the actual device before, just the cost. I brushed over thinking it was related to a turn signal flasher or hazards flasher. I wonder if this is similar to what I used to see on motorcycles (typically Gold Wings - maybe it was a popular dealer add-on with them) where when you first apply the brakes, it flashes the lights very rapidly for a second or two, then goes full "on". They were just to get the attention of drivers behind the bike.

Probably belongs in its own post - but are brake light flahsers even legal? I always thought flashing lights were for stopped or emergency vehicles. Not trying to start an argument - legitimate question...
Very legitimate question. I'm not a lawyer, but as near as I can tell, it's against Federal law for any dealer, manufacturer or shop to install them according to the NHTSA, but if self-installed it defaults to state law, where, I suspect, it's rarely enforced if illegal.
I'd like to see these dealers turned into the Feds with whistle-blower complaints and put out of business.

Back