Did I heal my Engine from Burning oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the scenerio. I bought a BMW X5 6 months ago with 83000 miles. I did the first oil change and it appeared that the previous owner took the extended oil change idea a little too far... the oil was brown and looked like chocolate pudding. The cartridge filter was so full sludge after the oil drained off of it the filter was covered with thick waxey sludge that looked like clay.

I refilled woth 0w-40 Mobil 1. I ran that oil for 1,000 miles drained it and changed oil and filter Mobil1 0w-40. During both of the changes it was using a half quart a thousand miles.

I changed a few weeks ago after 7,000 miles. I have about 1,000 miles on that change and the oil level is right up to the upper level on the dipstick. It appears to have not used any oil.

Could the engine have healed Thy Self? Or should I call the Pope to inform him of a verifiable miracle... there's got to be a patron Saint of motor oil... right?

Last edited:
You could have helped the engine by freeing up sticking rings. It's possible.

Perhaps sludge from the top end, is loosening and falling into the crankcase, and causing the oil level to rise? Thus making up for whats being burned or turning to sludge in some other area of the motor.

I would take off a valve cover have a look see.
Take pictures if you do.

I hope some mechanics chime in and explain the effects of waxy chocolate pudding in a gasoline engine.

Considering you fixed the consumption with only one short run, looks like you made a good choice with the M1 0w-40.

I don't think I would change it sooner, at least till you know more, but I would pull the filter screen to see whats in it, without dumping the oil.

See if the top end looks anything like this.
Buck's%20Engine%20Teardown%20012.jpg

Originally Posted By: jorton
I hope some mechanics chime in and explain the effects of waxy chocolate pudding in a gasoline engine.

You could always toss a freezer in the trunk and sell ice cream.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Considering you fixed the consumption with only one short run, looks like you made a good choice with the M1 0w-40.

Seriously, X2 on this. It looks like you're already cleaning things out. I also think your engine would benefit from a run of AutoRX. I think you'd have to run a recommended grpIII oil though, so grab some 10W40 in your preferred brand like PP, QS, Castrol, etc...

Good luck.

Ghost:

I would concur in the recommendation to pull the valve cover and have a look. It really helps to know what you're dealing with before you start shooting at it.

I also would run an Auto-RX treatment using a Group 3 synthetic oil. I think it will help clean it and free up any stuck rings. After the rinse phase I'd use Mobil 1 at 7.5K intervals. If all goes well you could extend the intervals out to 9 or 10K.

If you have fairly easy access i would pull the oil pan and see what kind of goodies you find. Hows the oil pressure?

Maybe

Could try a run with MMO, Rislone or Auto-RX.

Check the PCV valve if it has one and change it.

Maybe a UOA is an order to check for coolant in the oil?

I second the Marvel Mystery Oil. Run it at 20% crankcase capacity for 3000 miles. The stuff cleans up everything. Been using it for this purpose for years on all my new "used" vehicles.

I would just continue to use M1 and stick with sane change intervals. Seems like that is already having the desired effect. No need to spend time/money/energy dealing with a problem that's already solving itself.

About 30 years ago, I changed the oil on a Chevette that the owner had driven 40,000 miles on the factory fill. The goop that came out resembled Bosco with silver glitter suspended in it. Shoulda saved some in a bottle. I could send it to Blackstone and claim it came from an '09 Camry with 5000 miles on it. LOL

Good luck with the X5.

Last edited:
Maybe it was not using oil before.
A sludged up engine can trap oil from returning to the crankcase in the head- thus making it seem low on the dipstick.
Could be all sorts of things.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
If you have fairly easy access i would pull the oil pan and see what kind of goodies you find. Hows the oil pressure?

I guess the oil pressure is good there is no gauage just an idiot light

Is engine Rx additive etc better than the cleaning properties of a good syn like M1?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Maybe

Could try a run with MMO, Rislone or Auto-RX.

Check the PCV valve if it has one and change it.

Maybe a UOA is an order to check for coolant in the oil?

In 9,000 miles no coolant consumption

Oh you just hit my sore spot with this engine. Instead of a pcv valve, It has a vapor bypass system That is not part of the regular service... ever ! I discovered this in January this past when the temp dropped to 5 degrees the system was full of water from 7 years of condensation, the hoses froze op and by the time I went from my house to the next crossroad about 1 mile.... I'm blowing white smoke and steam out the rear end. I opened the hood and there was oil all over the engine. This happened the second day I owned the car. I towed it back to the dealer and they fixed it for free $1500. BMW corrected this wihth a new design in I believe ,05 and there should be a recall but they are shamefully fixing as they break for customers... They are Aholes about admitting to a design flaw!!

So yes there was water in the oil when I changed it.

I will be checking this system every winter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back