Did I buy a Genuine USA Crescent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a set of Crescent wrenches on eBay. The seller states USA made. I don't see any indication on the tool or package (came in a red pouch). The jaw also has a lot of play.

I've seen other examples of this wrench with the USA stamp on it. Did I get a foreign made tool?

Attachments

• 20211027_202710.jpg
    20211027_202710.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 20211027_202701.jpg
    20211027_202701.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 20211027_202515.jpg
    20211027_202515.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
They dont look right. I have an old crescent that is probably older style and looks a bit different so its not visually comparable but its jaw is still tight even though i've hammered with it. Hope you didn't pay too much.

Genuine made in USA Crescent adjustable wrench. The handle is thick. Purchased at the now closed Toledo Andersons General Store.

I also have a smaller 8" Channellock adjustable wrench made in Spain. That is of very good quality and I like it.

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

They are quite possibly real. It must be over 10 years ago I bought a USA made Crescent from HD that was terrible quality. Rough finish, poorly ground and loose jaws, just crap all round, it too was in some sort of a pouch and sealed, if I would have seen the jaws I would not have bought them. The Chicom version had much better fit and finished.
IMO when the company decided to go Chicom the ones that were last made in the USA were just a end to the line that were just thrown together.
Sure they could be fakes also from ebay sellers, send them back and claim suspected fakes.

Never seen a Crescent Wrench with such blunted / squared ends. Usually the top most fixed jaw has some curve to it.

I bought a set of Crescent wrenches on eBay. The seller states USA made. I don't see any indication on the tool or package (came in a red pouch). The jaw also has a lot of play.

I've seen other examples of this wrench with the USA stamp on it. Did I get a foreign made tool?
I think those are the made in Taiwan version.

Those look like fakes, they dont even look like the current offshore "real " crescents.

I have every crescent adjustable from 4 inch to 24 inch , all usa made, and none look like those.
IMG_20211020_182649538.jpg

They've been making adjustable wrenches for 110+ years, they're bound to change the style once and again.

That said, if they're bragging about their heritage "since 1907" they'd be bragging about being made the USA as well.

If they're imports, they're legally supposed to indicate this, but it could be via sticker that the seller removed.

You can make something in the USA and sell it here without marking it, but you'd be missing on a huge marketing opportunity.

And they do look like trash in the pics.

I can't tell...

But, the Wright adjustables, either made in Spain or in the USA, are excellent wrenches and competitively priced.

Looking at 10 or 20 year old tools doesn't help. Once again, current production 8" wrenches have the laser etched scales near the adjusting wheel. No idea when they started putting that on but if the Ebay wrenches are supposed to be new current production I'd be suspicious.

Looking at 10 or 20 year old tools doesn't help. Once again, current production 8" wrenches have the laser etched scales near the adjusting wheel. No idea when they started putting that on but if the Ebay wrenches are supposed to be new current production I'd be suspicious.

I don't think there are any USA made adjustable crescents in the last 10-20 years.

Isn't the etched logo on the tool in the original post a newer thing from Crescent? By "newer," I mean sometime in the last 15-20yrs when production had already shifted overseas.

And is this the seller(?): https://www.ebay.com/usr/mike.vand?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 Searching crescent wrench on there, one of the top listings was from this guy with a wrench with no USA stamping and laser etching like the one in the original post here. Looking at the label for that AC110 model, it seems odd that the printing would be such terrible quality, specifically on the "made in USA" portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back