Did he have stability control turned off?

If I were the driver of the truck I would find the sleaziest lawyer to sue the Hellcat owner, Dodge, and the event organizer. They all settle.

Likely won't need a sleazy lawyer; a regular one should know that much. That Hellcat knucklehead is going to regret that whole day for a very long time.

Maybe it's just me but at the end of that vid, it almost looks like the truck settles into something reducing its overall height. I really hope the cabin retained structural rigidity and that the occupant(s) are unhurt. Reminds me to belt up when riding in the backseat of my FIL's Sierra...

Caprice is off until I turn it on. Torque management eliminated.
Trans Am is on, you have to turn it off.
Truck is on but torque management is less aggressive, helps with towing.

I will break my stuff my own way, thank you very much GM. :) ;)

However at my age I can't remember the last time the Caprice or Trans Am saw over 3000 RPM. The truck will but that is with 8000lbs hanging out out back.

I hate guys like the one in the Hellcat. He ruins it for everyone who has anything with a moderate amount of power, not only that they usually shut down decent events like cars and coffee when something like that happens.

a hellcat is an incredibly idiot proof car. you have to hold the button down for like 15 seconds before it actually turns off traction control

there is no excuse for crashing in a straight line, even if you drive a 1000whp hellcat swapped miata

I'll blame the electrical power steering. Not enough feedback to tell the driver the backend is coming around in a hurry.
Also some people have blamed the Mustang's stability control on actually causing some the crashes. All stability control can really do is cut power and jam on one of the front brakes, and if the car is starting to rotate into a slide under power, suddenly transferring a bunch of weight to the front end might not be helping you much! On the subaru I find it doesn't really help much on snow and while drifting, its main strategy is to brake the outside front tire which can make it trickier to straighten up if the slip angle gets big before it wakes up.

Last edited:
All stability control can really do is cut power and jam on one of the front brakes, and if the car is starting to rotate into a slide under power, suddenly transferring a bunch of weight to the front end might not be helping you much!
Wrong. If going in a right hander and the rear end start swinging to the left, the ESP will apply (among other things) the right rear brakes to pull you back on track.

I'll blame the electrical power steering. Not enough feedback to tell the driver the backend is coming around in a hurry.
Also some people have blamed the Mustang's stability control on actually causing some the crashes. All stability control can really do is cut power and jam on one of the front brakes, and if the car is starting to rotate into a slide under power, suddenly transferring a bunch of weight to the front end might not be helping you much! On the subaru I find it doesn't really help much on snow and while drifting, its main strategy is to brake the outside front tire which can make it trickier to straighten up if the slip angle gets big before it wakes up.
Perhaps the owner will claim tire pressure deviation of 1 psi. 😀

Did anyone notice how quickly that little purple car stopped? Braking power! Something the Challenger could benefit from LOL.

I have 2013 2WD Tahoe police pursuit vehicle, and it is programmed to not allow the stability control to be turned off at all. I can turn off the traction, but not the stability. It's probably so it can't be disabled accidently at high speeds. I wish I could turn it off in the winter. Instead of being able to slide through the corners in the snow running on winter tires, it just pushes the front. Not much fun that way.

Last edited:
I like how in these car meet crash clips it's always a rwd musclecar with the rear ending breaking loose causing havoc. Need to get those dummies into a riced out Civic, or any other fwd car.

I like how in these car meet crash clips it's always a rwd musclecar with the rear ending breaking loose causing havoc. Need to get those dummies into a riced out Civic, or any other fwd car.
Oh contre ! There's this gem, not far from me,which received a good laugh in the BMW forums.

A BMW M4 is rwd and has a lot of horsepower so it's the same thing, which is the crux of the problem.

BMW driver sure just noped right on out. :ROFLMAO:

So I have had 2 experiences with the rear end coming out on me in a RWD vehicle or rear biased AWD. Infiniti Q50 AWD it took what felt like an eternity for the VSC to reel the slide back in, it finally straightened things back out before I ended up in the ditch where I would have been calling for a tow. This was a fresh snowstorm in Denver area (prob 6-7" at that point and heavy snow) and rental was rolling around on factory all-seasons. My departed '09 MB C300 was turning left onto a main road and rear end started rotating on me (fresh rain on an oily road and chilly temps), I would say back end rotated about 2-3' before the ESP reeled it right back in. MB must program very aggressively.

I have 2013 2WD Tahoe police pursuit vehicle, and it is programmed to not allow the stability control to be turned off at all. I can turn off the traction, but not the stability. It's probably so it can't be disabled accidently at high speeds. I wish I could turn it off in the winter. Instead of being able to slide through the corners in the snow running on winter tires, it just pushes the front. Not much fun that way.
Get a tune my Caprice was like that

You're assuming there was any there in the first place?

Probably a bad assumption.

Used to be a guy learned how to drive over series of higher and higher HP cars and by the time he got to something like a 5-800 HP car he knew what he was doing.

Now most guys just go write a check and for the most part - the electronic nannies keep them out of the ditch, but if anything happens to those they find themselves irreversibly over their heads in less than the blink of an eye.

Agree. We didnt have that stuff back then. and todays kind of speed was not easily accessible. We got/had to work our way up. There’s no way I can handle the full capability of either of the vehicles I drive, so a right-minded self would not push the envelope, not on uncontrolled conditions.

Back