Did Google Gmail Just Decode/Read a File Attachment in My Inbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I booked a trip to San Francisco

Hope ya'll have your shots up to date, hazmat suits, flashlights, and plenty of hand sanitizer.

Thinking about wearing my NRA hat to some restaurants there. LoL.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
If you have an android phone, the GPS data is logged by google.

Go to account.google.com (or maybe myaccount.google.com) and log in. Go to 'Data & personalization', then Location history. Click 'manage activity' and you will see everywhere you've been for the last 90 days.

You can clear this data, set when to auto-delete history, etc. You can turn off location tracking, and in prior screens turn off advert stuff, etc.

This.. exactly this 👆

Originally Posted by dishdude
The paranoia in this thread runs deep af.
50.gif

Right!...‚
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PimTac
On my iPhone I don't run Google. It still knows where I am going. We make weekly trips to the store generally on the same day. The iPhone will tell me how long to expect the trip to run and if there are any traffic issues. Same with going to church. It does this without any input from me.

"What" knows where you're going or tells you how long a destination will take to reach ? Do you mean iOS pops up this info ?

Originally Posted by kschachn
I also have seen where stores will sell your frequent buyer information to other entities such as Facebook. Go to the drug store, buy a product and then see a targeted ad in Facebook within minutes.

Got an interesting one related to this..... An old friend went to Walmart, bought Thomas English muffins, used the self-checkout, and paid cash. When he got home, he logged into Facebook and was being shown ads for English muffins. Any guesses how they did that ? Ideas were....

- The self-checkouts have cameras and Walmart sells that data to different companies. Based on the location of the store, facial ID technology, FB was able to connect some dots and guess that this was him.
- One of his friends just happens to work for a 'data' company and she said the store registers can talk to our smartphones over Bluetooth. Anyone with an iPhone that's updated iOS recently has probably been bombarded with prompts for "Facebook wants access to your Bluetooth" or "Google Maps wants access to your Bluetooth" and so on.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by PimTac
On my iPhone I don't run Google. It still knows where I am going. We make weekly trips to the store generally on the same day. The iPhone will tell me how long to expect the trip to run and if there are any traffic issues. Same with going to church. It does this without any input from me.

"What" knows where you're going or tells you how long a destination will take to reach ? Do you mean iOS pops up this info ?

Yes exactly. I think it might be Maps but not certain.

Im getting rid of all things google. Im amazed at the amount of people that could care less that google collects all the information they can on themselves and their families, then lets google auction it off to the highest bidder in the world.
Heck some day people will let google put cameras in their homes to watch everything they and their kids do for a free car.

Its easy to buy people and google as well as the others know it, just give them stuff and not charge them for it, like rodents they become dependent.

Start by reducing your searches on google. duckduckgo.com is a great way to do that, throw some business to bing.com too. You dont have to not use google, just give duckduckgo a first try.

Dump gmail, MY GOD, common knowledge for over a decade and people could care less about google scanning their emails in return for free email service. Completely blows my mind that anyone uses gmail and if they do, well, should never bother about asking for privacy. Just open all the shades in your homes, in your bedrooms for all to see.

Drives me nuts and then some complain... most likely posted in here so will keep this short *L*

private email? outlook.com but the ultimate private is protonmail.com

Also your internet provider is the ultimate thief but that's a whole other story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
private email? outlook.com

What do you mean? I already have an @outlook.com address, but it's just an alias that's linked to my @hotmail.com address, so from that perspective it's no different. Not private.

Are you referring to some paid version of outlook.com?

After seeing what Google/YouTube has done to Crowder and Gabbard, I'm fully boycotting anything having to do with Google. Ive never trusted them, but trust them even less now.

Do your diligence elsewhere if you like. Lest anyone try to turn my comment P, note they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

But Google having an obscene market share and being able to meddle in every aspect of our connected life and information access (including relatively private stuff like email), no thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back