Did Dealer use 0-30 instead of specified 0-20 (508) ?

Dealer recently did oil change and put the following in my '20 Audi Q3 which calls for 0w-20 508: G-E52-577-S0.
According to an online seller, this oil is 0w-30. I'm doubtful it is correct oil and intend to follow up with a visit as soon as possible,
but for now, can anyone verify what the weight of the above is?

Once I accidently used the wrong but close to viscosity in one of my cars and it caused me all sorts of mischief. Car was fine but the magnetic strips on all my credit cards went blank, the dairy products in my 'fridge soured/curdled and my phone died.
Learned my lesson that day.

I agree, Can't be too careful with correct motor oil.

Dealer recently did oil change and put the following in my '20 Audi Q3 which calls for 0w-20 508: G-E52-577-S0.
According to an online seller, this oil is 0w-30. I'm doubtful it is correct oil and intend to follow up with a visit as soon as possible,
I would not buy from the online seller again, since 508.00 are 0w20, not 0w30

GE600201QDSP is what you want

If its a 504 oil, I'd just run it for the interval. Erwin had the same recommendation in oil grades for the 2.0T in the GLI.

He used an online seller to check the part no. the dealer showed on his invoice is all.

I wouldn't worry about it - lots of discussion about the 508/0W20 in these engines and that there is an oil pump difference to deal with the lower viscosity but plenty have noted that they run the older-school 5W40s etc. with no issue. The 0W30 504 I'm sure will be just fine.

ran the italian trip with 20W-50 redline in the sump. Went off without a hitch.

But redlining often, on fairly high elevations (thin air) and temperatures around 100F, more viscosity is better than not enough.

How is the engine response with the new oil? Do you notice any difference? Oil temp difference?
Fuel mileage, noise, acceleration?
If no big degradation, the engine will fare well.

508 only comes in 0W-20, if using the correct spec is of importance.

I've only seen stellar 508 UOA.

Using VW 504 00 oil instead of 508 00 is what I requested my dealership do during the free oil change period.

As a side note I’m not sure I’d be buying oil on eBay but maybe that’s just me.

The above is what they used the last two times......which is the 0-20, 508 rated.
How is the engine response with the new oil? Do you notice any difference? Oil temp difference?
Fuel mileage, noise, acceleration?
If no big degradation, the engine will fare well.
It is the wife's car so I have not been driving it at all. Have been passenger a couple of times and didnt hear/feel anything different. I'll leave it in and change it out myself at 5K or so as its not convenient to get back to dealer. Had I not been stupid to buy their 10/20/30/40K svc plan, which I find out is little more than an oil change, I'd not bother with them anymore. This change was the 20K so I may just let it go anyway.

Many thanks to you all for the feedback.

GE550301QDSP
is 0w30 504/507

1544438_x800.webp

Back