Did a brake job and got a squeek coming only when

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

Did the rotors and pads on my Venza and all went well, at least I think it did. I hear a squeek when driving. Not sure what it could be. Any suggestions?

Adding I did the front and rear. Checked all the rotors and don't see anything indicating a surface is being scored by anything. But it sounds like something is faintly touching to make the squeek

Last edited:
Lubed the pins, I installed thermoquiets by Wagner and read it wasn't necessary (special coating on them?).

I can definitely try that.

I did the TQ's on my truck and they are whisper quiet. Are you getting noise during driving or during braking? Also, did hi b d them in well? New rotors or old? If old were they turned?

New rotors and pads. I bed them in, and it's during a drive. Quiet when braking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'm curious why a 2-3 yo car needs new pads and rotors.

What is the driving cycle?

Your quite right to question. Car has 35k miles on it, was a cpo purchased with 12k on it. At the time there w as a slight pulse/very faint, and my new job being 25 miles away on route 80 finally made them pulse pretty bad. I had approx 20% pad life left and given I had pulsation I decided to replace the rotors as well.

For those of you that don't know, 80 towards NYC is a bear, crazy short stops and lots of stop and go as you get close to the city.

Given I will be closing on a house soon, my commute will be 50 miles one way, so better safe than sorry.

Funny thing. Changed my oil as well, last person to touch the car was the dealer and I noticed some oil slightly dripping from the bottom of the pan by the drain bolt. Thing was barely threaded on! Last oil change was July, but didn't losee much if any oil, but wow, seriously would expect much better from a dealer. At least with our own place I can go back to doing maintenance on my own.

Last edited:
Those mechanic dudes on YouTube say you're supposed to lube everything that the metal part of the pads come in contact with.

Get rid of the Thermoquiets. They do not use the correct shim design that is required for the application. Get OE pads from the dealer (not the TCMC Kit) and re-use the factory shim kit.

Give it a thousand miles to break in. Some make noise for a while. Patience. They will get better or worse.

If it is making noise while driving, but not while braking, then something is rubbing. Try checking the runout on the rotors. Did you clean the hubs well before you installed the new rotors?

Originally Posted By: Doog
Did you lube the back of the pads
I have seen this as completely useless and waste of time on all my Toyotas, I tried it three times, saw no benefit and ran all the pads from then on without any lube on the back, the brake pads have ALWAYS been quiet, even with entry level pads from parts store.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
If it is making noise while driving, but not while braking, then something is rubbing. Try checking the runout on the rotors. Did you clean the hubs well before you installed the new rotors?

Hubs and rotors were cleaned, made sure the caliper brackets were cleaned as well. The amount of rust along hub made it difficult to remove even with service screws.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
Give it a thousand miles to break in. Some make noise for a while. Patience. They will get better or worse.

I'll try the suggestions here, and will report back. This was my first foray into replacing the brakes and made sure I watched and read the process online. I'm pretty handy around vehicles for small things (no engine teardown lol).

Will try to report in the next few days maybe a week as things are busy with packing for the move. I appreciate the input!

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: Doog
Did you lube the back of the pads
I have seen this as completely useless and waste of time on all my Toyotas, I tried it three times, saw no benefit and ran all the pads from then on without any lube on the back, the brake pads have ALWAYS been quiet, even with entry level pads from parts store.

I have done about 31 brake jobs on my Toyotas & Hondas. All get lubed...none ever squeaked.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Originally Posted By: ddtmoto

I'll try the suggestions here, and will report back. This was my first foray into replacing the brakes and made sure I watched and read the process online. I'm pretty handy around vehicles for small things (no engine teardown lol).

Will try to report in the next few days maybe a week as things are busy with packing for the move. I appreciate the input!

Double check and make sure you don't have one of the metal clips bent and touching the rotor or on backwards.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Hey all!

Did the rotors and pads on my Venza and all went well, at least I think it did. I hear a squeek when driving. Not sure what it could be. Any suggestions?

Adding I did the front and rear. Checked all the rotors and don't see anything indicating a surface is being scored by anything. But it sounds like something is faintly touching to make the squeek

I would check work, but I think it is product.
Try to stay away from those products from AZ or AAP.
Get either OEM, or Akebono, ATE, Textar, Pagid, EBC, Brembo...

It's interesting that it squeaks when driving, and not during braking. Never heard of that before.

I think Wagner TQ are good pads personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back