diatomaceous earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all in the land of the Great Bitog:

Lately, I've been reading about diatomaceous earth. I've never used it before but am thinking of using it on my tomatoes and okra plants to keep the bugs off in an organic way. Has anyone ever used this stuff before? How did it work and how did you spread it?

Originally Posted By: pandus13
powdered shells.
seem to be very sharp at a fine level.
so they cut the bugs and they dehydrate.

Seems to work well for my wifes gardening.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Lately, I've been reading about diatomaceous earth. I've never used it before but am thinking of using it on my tomatoes and okra plants to keep the bugs off in an organic way. Has anyone ever used this stuff before? How did it work and how did you spread it?

Works well against many kinds of insects.

Also magically removes oil stains from pavers and such.

Used in pool filters, so generally available at pool stores...

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

I used to manage pools for a living many moons ago and we used a lot of it for filtration.

Although it is not a poison, do NOT breathe in the dust as it will cause lung damage. If you use it a lot, get a mask.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Human grade is important not pool stuff

There ARE different varieties, none of them are good (or safe) to inhale.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Ndx
Human grade is important not pool stuff

There ARE different varieties, none of them are good (or safe) to inhale.

it should be noted that my garage has a 50 pound box of the stuff and it was purchased at a pool supply store chain.

It is pure, and was not treated with anything nor was anything added...

I purchased a small bag of it. I tried it on fire-ant mounds. No luck. They walked right over it without any issue. In my case, it was a 100% failure.

Might work for other bugs, but does not work for fire-ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back