Dial caliper question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I need a dial caliper to measure simple car stuff like brake rotors and things like that.
If you have to choose between a digital or analog dial caliper wich one would you take?

thanks

I use calipers almost daily.

For rotors, I'd go with the analog, you can watch & track the run out easier.

Digital calipers can switch between inch and metric. A dial caliper cannot. Digital calipers need batteries. They both can break if you drop them. I would by the cheapest metal calipers I could find. I think Harbor Freight has digital calipers for around$15.

For low precision / casual work, the one's at HF are not bad for the price. We used them around a wood cutting CNC and they held up pretty well.

Go with the better brands for higher quality work. I have a 12" Mitutoyo digital set (from when I worked in a metal shop) which are awesome.

I've used digital and dial and will always go with digital from now on. Easier to read and there are no gear tracks to foul with dirt.

I use a deep throat mic with a pointed anvil so I can get past any ridges and into any grooves in the rotor. Search Starrett 458 series if you want to see one.

i was a machinist at boeing for 25 years. used both kinds, if you get a name brand, you wont have any trouble. 3 weeks ago i bought a HF 4" it does great for what i need, just general stuff RC car/trucks. i had a custom leather holder made for it, $46. best thing ever. at HF check the caliper be for you take it home.

Originally Posted By: morris
i was a machinist at boeing for 25 years. used both kinds, if you get a name brand, you wont have any trouble. 3 weeks ago i bought a HF 4" it does great for what i need, just general stuff RC car/trucks. i had a custom leather holder made for it, $46. best thing ever. at HF check the caliper be for you take it home.

I bring a valve shim of known measurement with me and rip open the packaging. Accuracy varies for $15

Last edited:
Something to consider on cheaper tools, is the accuracy over the entire travel may be inconsistant. It may be close enough at .0250" but off at 4.5000" or vice versa. You'd have to verify the individual tool to be certain. Your willingness to accept a looser tolerance for the DIY may be perfectly acceptable for something like a brake rotor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back