Diagnose tire wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are Primacy mxv4 off the Camry. 5k rotations until about 25k, then because they were at 4 to 5/32 left I stopped. (I might have rotated once more, notes are not clear.) total miles are 46kmiles.

The fronts seem to show excessive inside shoulder wear, but the tread is oddly deepest next to that. Being on the front I am not surprised that the outer edges see the most wear.
swtt9c.jpg

The rears appear to have the same issue but not as badly.
2ui7jlz.jpg

Should I be concerned? Funny wear at the bitter end does not scream to me that it needs an alignment.

It looks decent enough to be honest, I'll kill for that kind of wear pattern.

I bet if you did not rotate, the shoulder wear wouldn't have been evened out like yours across 4 tires.

Taken as a whole, that wear is pretty good. Adding in the fact that you haven't rotated for 21K, I'd say it was better than that.

My vote is for "Nothing to worry about".

But if you are OCD, I'd see about an alignment - looking at camber and toe, especially.

Wife said it was starting to get iffy in the wet. My entyres had 2x the tread and I thought they were dangerous, she must be a better driver than I.

Thanks. I'll be in no rush for alignment, but I Guess it wouldn't hurt either, if nothing else to just have the numbers. Will see how the next set wears, with proper rotations this time.

The inside edge wear(smooth) is excessive negative camber wear meaning, if you are looking at your car straight on from the front, you may see your front tires looking like this

....... //----\\ .......of course, not to this extreme!

And, if you also had cupping on those same inside edges, your tires would have too much toe-in...looking at the same picture from above the car, looking downward!

Yes, get a good 4 wheel alignment and new tires.

I hope this helped!
smile.gif

CB

Last edited:
No cupping. Tires were quiet to the end. So I think the toe was fine, just the camber if anything is off.

Wife is driving it now, if my static balance is off then it'll go for balance and align this week. If not, then eventually well see what the future holds.

Most alignment shop will check the alignment for free and show you the printout. If it's close, I usually just leave it alone but, it's good to see anyway!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Most alignment shop will check the alignment for free and show you the printout.

Not sure if it varies with suspension design, but every time I've asked to just have the alignment "checked", I was told that "We can't just do a check. In order to check it, we actually have to perform it, which means price is the same." Anyone else came across this?

Well, I have had 5 different cars(GM, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota) alignments checked at both, G/Y Service Centers & Cole Muffler/Mavis Tire shops. Check another shop. Maybe Good/Year!

Check another shop. Maybe Good/Year!

See, this is the thing. Other than BMW dealer and some Euro indy shops, I really don't trust anyone with the alignment on my car. There is a very specific procedure to be followed, including placing of weights in various parts of the car, and none of the chain stores do this.

But anyway, sorry about taking this OT.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Most alignment shop will check the alignment for free and show you the printout.

Not sure if it varies with suspension design, but every time I've asked to just have the alignment "checked", I was told that "We can't just do a check. In order to check it, we actually have to perform it, which means price is the same." Anyone else came across this?

Yes! To get a decent check you have to do most of the work.

Ok, had an alignment today.

16m3zpe.jpg

Doesn't seem far off, like Capri said. Front toe was -0.06, rear was 0.34, now 0.01/0.27. Camber around -1 front, -1.5 rear.

Seems like a lot of camber, but, I bet with low pressure in rolly-polly tires, it probably helps with cornering. I am starting to think we do more turning per mile than I think.

Despite them touching it, I swear it still pulls to the left just a hair. Could be our ponder roads though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back