DI engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since DI engines have a carbon deposit issue on the intake valve, is there a 0w-20 oil out there that addresses this issue?

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
That's why I've gone to a heavier oil 10w30 from 5w30. Much lower noack

NOACK does not correlate to intake valve deposits.

Originally Posted by dave1251

I've read both sides on this. Can you cite studies?

Originally Posted by dave1251

I disagree. I think having an oil with a lower NOACK is a big benefit to reducing intake valve deposits, along with an oil with lower SA too.

I agree with Patman.

I like the M1 0w20's for their good Noack (10%) and SA of .8 as well as D1G2 approval.

There is an engineering solution Ford and Toyota have implemented. Oil selection is a bandaid for an engineering issue.

Now is that solution the be all end all, no, I bet a different valve philosophy could eliminate the issue.

I think lower noack is important anyway.

Originally Posted by Eddie
SA?

Sulfated Ash.

The oil I'm using in my Corvette has very low sulfated ash (0.6%) and very low NOACK (5.6% supposedly) so those two things are key factors why I chose it for my DI engine.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Eddie
SA?

Sulfated Ash.

The oil I'm using in my Corvette has very low sulfated ash (0.6%) and very low NOACK (5.6% supposedly) so those two things are key factors why I chose it for my DI engine.

Great choice. I believe the ESP line is the most cutting edge right now.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
There is an engineering solution Ford and Toyota have implemented. Oil selection is a bandaid for an engineering issue.

Now is that solution the be all end all, no, I bet a different valve philosophy could eliminate the issue.

I think lower noack is important anyway.

Good point. Toyota is using multi port.

I've settled on 0W-20 PP for my Silverado. The GTL basestock is supposed to have low volatility, at least according to the old PQIA tests they did on the GTL PP a while back.

I've always been a Pennzoil fan (Dad uses it, grew up using it), and all our cars call for 0W-20 so it's easy to buy in 5 quart jugs and use it in everything.

My truck is still new, but I don't seem to be burning any oil so far! Changed at 2000 and then again a 5000 miles.

even high quality real synthetics with thinner base oils have lower noacks which is a higher #, i would never run XXW20 oil in anything regardless of its base oils used.

There's a study done (paper somewhere on the internet), conclusion is group 4 oil change at low usage interval will help, driving with high load will help (can be intermittent high load, not continuous), but that's about it.

Walnut shell blasting is the only guaranteed remedy. I personally would prefer a reduced NOACK by using 5w20 or 10w30.

Last edited:
My new F150 3.5 EB has the dual fuel system and it doesn't even soot the exhaust pipe like my old ‘11 did. On part throttle its PI only; the DI comes in when more power is needed. I don't think IVD will be an issue with this engine. Hopefully fuel dilution will be reduced as well.

Originally Posted by benjy
even high quality real synthetics with thinner base oils have lower noacks which is a higher #, i would never run XXW20 oil in anything regardless of its base oils used.

You will have to explain how thinner base oils have lower Noack with a higher number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back