DHS Seizes Land Rover Over EPA Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercedes USA was big into this. Until the mid 1980s it was pretty easy to bring a car in, grey-market. But people were buying German Mercedes for much less money, adding appropriate catalytic converters etc to meet US standards and "cheating" MBUSA, the importer, from their cut. MBUSA somehow added status to the brand that lead to US yuppies paying more than others around the world-- a coup, to be sure, and one they defend vigorously.

So they lobbied and made it much tougher to privately import during the mid 80s. This isn't government (newly) run amok.

In the past it was simple, if it didn't meet the import regulations you could not get it through customs. Once it got past customs you were home free, grey market German cars from the 80's for example. I was in the import business, not cars, but they are tough [censored] to deal with. My question is why is the DHS involving themselves in something that is not under their authority? Meanwhile tens of thousands of illegals pour across our border and they do nothing except house them. The cars got past Customs so why seize them at the owners house and why is the DHS doing it.

Whimsey

it was NOT on the street. or was it running. what if it was NOT in running condition? or in parts? what the [censored],? can she reclassify it as a collectible car? i know tons of guys that have a vintage car with a newer engine. shouldnt not they to meet some specs?

Not to get political or anything, but I sleep well at night knowing Land Rovers and Skylines are being crushed.

Disclaimer: For anyone that hasn't read my Borla thread, my sarcasm meter is pegged.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
It appears that DHS has a bit too much funding, and a misguided direction.

Exactly....same as the IRS.

This woman bought the 1985 Defender on eBay last year. Don't know whether it was a USA sale, Canada, England, etc. But some of the cars that the feds were seizing in NC had altered VINs. If she got screwed by an eBay seller that sold her a vehicle with an altered VIN, hopefully the Feds also will go after that d-bag.

These are mid-2000s Defenders that are imported with some mods and titles to make them look like 1980s models, which don't require EPA inspections since they're 25+ years old. So, yes, technically they were imported improperly to bypass EPA requirements. 40 were seized from people in July, or so the news says.

Personally, I'd love one. A new diesel Defender is on the top of my list. I wish I could get one without a SWAT team kicking in my door.

We have a southern border that leaks like a sieve... but the Government is putting effort into stuff like this.

Makes perfect sense after everything we've seen for the past 6 years.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
These are mid-2000s Defenders that are imported with some mods and titles to make them look like 1980s models, which don't require EPA inspections since they're 25+ years old. So, yes, technically they were imported improperly to bypass EPA requirements. 40 were seized from people in July, or so the news says.

Personally, I'd love one. A new diesel Defender is on the top of my list. I wish I could get one without a SWAT team kicking in my door.

For the importer guy to get import certificates and titles to sell these rebadged Defenders as though they were 25+ years old, there would have to be some fraud with the VINs or the paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back