Dexron VI

Hi all,

Just did a drain and refill on an '11 Equinox with 118,000 on it. Fluid flowed out of transmission well, but was black and barely smelled like transmission fluid. My question is, does the Dex VI lose the red dye color in short order and turn black, or was this fluid just in need of a change out? May have been original for all I know. No shifting problems before or after change. 4.75 qts exchanged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done two drain and refills on my 2015 Trax, first at 60,000 second at 66,000, both times the Dex VI was black. Will keep doing it until it turns red again. Trans shifts fine.

Accomplished that Dex VI task on my 2013 Nox at 85K miles. Will do it again at 150K miles.

It was just dirty. It will stay red if you keep it clean. Was that your first service?

Last edited:
Soon as the weather get a little better the Duramax is going to get a spill and fill and external filter change. Currently just over 77K miles. It will be the second first was done after 30K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ls1mike
It was just dirty. It will stay red if you keep it clean. Was that your first service?

I would bet it was the first service, the aluminum around the drain plug had no dark spot from a previous drain, i think i will do it again next weekend.

Not sure what's in your owners manual … but our Cruze was 40k and we did that. ATF was coal black.
Ran the next (gallon) just 10k and still somewhat dirty. Just started doing it yearly … 10 minute extra and $20 during an oil change. Bumping up on 129k and shifts great (LG red in latest MaxLife change).
Annual change keeping it nice and red.

MaxLife is a great ATF … but I'd never say it's better than Dex VI …

There used to be a price spread but Dexron has come down so I'm using that in two other GM's and Castrol MV in the Fusion Hybrid (it actually carries both Mercon LV and Dexron VI) …

Brown is a good time to get it. Black, you over-shot. Surprised it happened in such a short time interval.

Dex VI is a good stable atf, if your trans is cooking it to be black you should change it out earlier. I would probably start doing more frequent changes on that one.

Sounds like a candidate for some lg red. My dad's Acadia has factory dex vi and 1oz per qt of lubegard red and the fluid is pretty pink/red. Thats with 141k miles. Shifted like butter before and after the treatment.

drain + fills only get 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid, then you mix new with the older dirty fluid so start early + change again as need, DIY is cheap trannys are $$$$$

I had a 2011 Equinox and can relate. Based on the bulletin the GM dealer gave me at the time (around 2013), there are some coatings on parts in the transmission that will turn the fluid dark. However, the chemical properties (e.g. protection, lubrication, etc) are not affected by the color. However, those 6-speed transmissions do get warm and are tough on fluid.

You did the right thing by changing it, but I would do a couple more drain and fills over the next 5,000-10,000 miles to gradually cycle the old fluid out. I've had great luck with that approach on 6-speed GM transmissions. My Traverse has about 75,000 miles on it, and it is on its 3rd "spill and fill". It shifts like a brand new car.

Edited to add:

Here is a link to the fluid I started using: https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=478991&docFormat=PDF

Last edited:
Check your spelling as it is called Dexron VI.

One can use Dexron VI, Valvoline Dexron VI, Valvoline MaxLife ATF, Redline's D6 ATF or Amsoil's ATL as all have very similar formulations..

I would keep draining and refilling until it stays clear for at least 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
MaxLife is a great ATF … but I'd never say it's better than Dex VI …

There used to be a price spread but Dexron has come down so I'm using that in two other GM's and Castrol MV in the Fusion Hybrid (it actually carries both Mercon LV and Dexron VI) …

Last word there Dexron IV in his post ^^^^^^^

I bet 4wd just said Dex IV in a short hand kind of way... Then at the end of his post spelled it out as Dexron IV.

The first 2 &3 drain and fill in the GM 6t40/6T45 is gonna be dark after that it will be bright red from then on. Then you can stretch out the drain intervals.

I recommend using an actual DexronVI spec fluid that has the GM approval number. I experimented with Maxlife LV several years ago in my GM cars and it caused funky shifting. Changing back over to Supertech DexVI cleared up those issues.

Back