Dexron VI - where to get it and best brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked the transmission fluid in my Chevy Colorado with 1700 miles on it today. It is right at the add mark. So I want to add some fluid. Manual says Dexron VI, all I have is Valvoline Dexron III.

What brand is best for the Dexron VI and where to get it ???

If your truck is really new, I would take it to the dealer and have them top it off. Probably was delivered under serviced.

Are you checking the fluid level per the owners manual? Some have you check it in park and other in neutral after warm up.

Hootbro

Just checked my GMC dealer and they just got it in. $6.86/qt. OUCH!!! And DEX VI is not even synthetic.

Make sure you check your ATF when the fluid it is at normal operating temp, with vehicle running, and on a level surface.

For a top off, your transmission really won't notice 8 ounces of another ATF. You can use any Dexron equivalent ATF if you plan on
Another option is to just toss in a 1/2 bottle of Lubegard or other ATF protectant from Wynns, Runrite, Smartblend, or Gunk.

Pennzoil DexronVI is $6 at pepboys. Yep, its expensive. But, if you don't mind buying a case, you can get it from the GM parts direct website at a reasonable price.

Quote:

And DEX VI is not even synthetic.

to paraphrase a former POTUS:
it depends on what the meaning of synthetic is........
smile.gif

I checked the GM Parts on-line and they whack you with a $20 ship/handle fee so I get a 10% discount at my GMC dealer so I just bought 1/2 a case there.

I would let the dealer add it.. its bumper to bumper warrenty
and at 1700mi shouldnt need it.

Quote:

I would let the dealer add it.. its bumper to bumper warrenty
and at 1700mi shouldnt need it.

Bumper to bumper does not cover fluid replacement or scheduled maintenance. I do agree though that as a courtesy, the dealer should top him off as it was probably underserviced before delivery.

Hootbro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back