Dexron IId alternative for '86 Volvo

While I do not know definitively, were it my car I'd use the DexVI without hesitation.
Was your DexVI so cheap it doesn't pay to go fetch some house brand Dex/Merc or MaxLife for the '86?

I've had better success running the correct viscosity Dex III (same as Dex II) vs. low-viscosity fluids in most older transmissions. I've found both GM and Aisin transmissions to like the "correct" viscosity better - but that doesn't mean an LV like Dex VI won't work or shorten the life.

Oh yeah, there's that. It's always viscosity.
What do transmission coolers do?
They lengthen the time weak transmissions shift well on a hot day by increasing the viscosity of the fluid, no?

I wouldn’t run Dex VI in transmissions that old.

Not that I’m anti Dex vi at all… not am I opposed to running it in some cases. I’m running it in my 4L60E that came with Dex IIiH for example. But there was conversation early on that Dex VI may not be compatible with certain seals and elastomers. I don’t know if that was ever truly resolved. But I would t really want to find out in a materials selection in a euro transmission in an antique vehicle… certainly not when there’s plenty of generic Dex III around…

My old Mercedes transmissions get generic Dex III D/M fluid, or else Mobil 1 ATF. I don’t even run max,Ive in them because it’s an LV fluid.

I've had better success running the correct viscosity Dex III (same as Dex II) vs. low-viscosity fluids in most older transmissions. I've found both GM and Aisin transmissions to like the "correct" viscosity better - but that doesn't mean an LV like Dex VI won't work or shorten the life.
I’m not trying to argue but but do you define success?

I have run higher cSt fluids such as Mobil 1 ATF and lower cSt fluids such as full syn DEX VI.

Doesn’t matter if its January in Stowe Vermont or September in Odessa Texas.

I can’t tell any difference.

I’m not trying to argue but but do you define success?

I have run higher cSt fluids such as Mobil 1 ATF and lower cSt fluids such as full syn DEX VI.

Doesn’t matter if its January in Stowe Vermont or September in Odessa Texas.

I can’t tell any difference.

I have run LV and Dex III/T-IV (same viscosity; T-IV is derived from Dex III) in a GM 4L30E and an Aisin U151E. Both had higher, firmer shift points with Dex III/T-IV. Some might not notice, and I can't guarantee it in every application as my n=2. It could also be the friction modifiers, of course. This is an apples-apples comparison, not worn out vs. new fluid.

Do you understand how shear stability works in an AT and what the DEXRON-II or -III licenses specify and require as opposed to DEXRON-VI?

DEXRON-VI is the correct viscosity.

Do you understand how shear stability works in an AT and what the DEXRON-II or -III licenses specify and require as opposed to DEXRON-VI?

DEXRON-VI is the correct viscosity.
I do fully understand that. Thanks for being your usual obnoxious self about thins, as always.

And you are 100% wrong. I should have put you on ignore LONG ago. No time like the present, though. Enjoy the holidays.

Looking for a Dex III fluid? I'd 2nd/3rd the TES-295 Mobil Delvac 1 ATF or Castrol TranSynd.

Back