dexron 2 fluid for 90 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel manual transaxle

hello,

i have a 1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel with manual transmission and i would like to change the transaxle fluid. i thought that the correct transaxle fluid was a gl-4 85w90 gear oil based on other corollas. i received the owners manual and it says for diesel engine transaxles to use dexron 2 automatic transmission fluid. any thoughts?

thanks

jorge

Dex III is the correct fill on that now; it is backward compatible. While DexVI supercedes III, it's thinner and I'd go with the III. In fact I did when confronted with this in my Borg-Warner transfer case spec'd for Dex II.

Toyota uses ATF in many transaxles, at and mt, and our Lexus ES uses it.

I'd take the better shear stability of a modern DEXRON-VI over the old (and unlicensed) DEXRON-III any day, especially in this application.

Newer ATFs can destroy seals (in steering racks....gearboxes, etc) PAO/Ester vs mineral oil ;)

I personally would never put ATF into MT....never heard for recommendation of that kind...

Try 75W gl4 oil instead....it is, as thin as ATF....but with MT addpack...

Btw...Toyotas of that "vintage" are all or DEX II or III anyway...(regarding their PS....A/T...)

Last edited:
Newer ATFs can destroy seals (in steering racks....gearboxes, etc) PAO/Ester vs mineral oil ;)

I personally would never put ATF into MT....never heard for recommendation of that kind...

Try 75W gl4 oil instead....it is, as thin as ATF....but with MT addpack...
It says to put atf dexron II in a 1987 corolla owners manual.

Well I never understood that ATF in MT/transfer box thing...

Not so that ATF would be too thin to protect/lubricate but....

.....solo from its add pack....go to VOA/UOA section of that (or any other) forum and compare add pack of tipical ATF vs MT fluid...

Its like cca 200ppm of P vs 1400-2000ppm of P/Zn....

I can only say that this thing is purely American way of approach...to stuff ATF in anything :) from teansfer boxes to MTs to guns...

Where any other market prescribes thick fluids for protection (with generous add packs).....there are Americans on the other side who want to go "as thin as its possible"...and praise ATF fluid as 8th wonder of this world.....Although its add pack is nothing extra...

I'd take the better shear stability of a modern DEXRON-VI over the old (and unlicensed) DEXRON-III any day, especially in this application.

I've thought about that too, for a different car using a 4T45E transmission. But if I am also going to replace the transmission pan with one with a drain bolt and presumably will be doing regular ATF changes after that, is it really going to make a difference?

Back