Dexos 1 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression that Valvoline was not on the GM dexos 1 approval list. Now it might meet the specifications but not approved by GM. Interesting that a 5w-20 would be approved since GM does not recommend that grade in any of their vehicles. I guess I'm missing all the facts somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
I was under the impression that Valvoline was not on the GM dexos 1 approval list. Now it might meet the specifications but not approved by GM. Interesting that a 5w-20 would be approved since GM does not recommend that grade in any of their vehicles. I guess I'm missing all the facts somewhere.

The next GEN trucks will be using 5W/20....

No valvoline or castrol measures up. They are more expensive than QSUD though that does have those qualities.

Originally Posted By: 229
No valvoline or castrol measures up. They are more expensive than QSUD though that does have those qualities.

What?

Uhh, what facts are you basing this on? I'm going to assume that they do not want to pay Gm so they can slap a Dexos1 cert on the bottles which overlaps other spec requirements anyway.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
It looks like Valvoline Synpower 5W-20 is now Dexros 1 approved. Will anybody be switching to the new weight??

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Careful. Those are approvals OR performance levels. Meeting a performance level does not make it certified. Valvoline will NOT pay for a dexos liscence. They also aren't on the dexos approved list.

This is what Valvoline has to say about the matter.
Quote:
General Motors has issued two new global specifications dexosTM1 and dexosTM2. dexos1 is intended for use in all GM gasoline vehicles and specifically recommend for 2011 MY and later vehicles. dexos2 is intended for use in both GM gasoline and GM light duty diesel vehicles and specifically recommended for 2011MY and later vehicles. GM is primarily targeting dexos1 for the North American and Asian markets where gasoline vehicles predominate and dexos2 for the European market and other markets where there is a mix of gasoline and diesel fueled light duty vehicles.

Both dexos specifications are a combination of elements of the API/ILSAC (North American) and ACEA (European) industry specifications along with some unique Opel (GM Europe) test requirements.

Valvoline already meets all the requirements of the dexosTM2 specification with our SynPower MST 5W-30 which was also the first Mercedes Benz 229.51 approved oil available in North America. Valvoline began introducing oils meeting the dexosTM1 specification in October 2010 when we upgraded our passenger car motor oils to API SN and ILSAC GF-5.

Valvoline will not however license any of our products with General Motors. GM is taking the unusual step of charging a very significant fee for licensing that we believe will result in an unwarranted cost increase to owners of GM vehicles. Valvoline has decided that we do not want to be a part of this.

So yes it's a case of meeting the dexos specs but not actually being officially licensed by GM. Personally though, I do take Valvoline's word on this claim. They're a fairly large supplier, they've been in business for a long time, and they've got too much to lose by lying about something like this. Any other manufacturer could have their (valv's) oil tested and totally discredit them if they were B.S.ing. So I'm pretty confident in their claims.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
GM does make cars that take 20w oils

There's a few out there that do and some new ones.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
GM does make cars that take 20w oils

There's a few out there that do and some new ones.

Just curious as to which models?

I have another question regarding dexos-1 5w20: is it OK to use in 5w30 dexos-1 engines?

Either it meets dexos 1 or it doesn't, right?

I know dexos 2 has both 30 and 40's, and many European OEM standards allow both viscosities.

Also, Mobil Super Synthetic is now dexos 1 licensed, if you can actually find it anywhere.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I have another question regarding dexos-1 5w20: is it OK to use in 5w30 dexos-1 engines?

Either it meets dexos 1 or it doesn't, right?

I know dexos 2 has both 30 and 40's, and many European OEM standards allow both viscosities.

Also, Mobil Super Synthetic is now dexos 1 licensed, if you can actually find it anywhere.

There is a couple 5w-20s on gms dexos approves list.

Quaker State pays for the certifying proof and still sells the oil for less than the lying imitators. You drank the Cool-Aid.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

That's a good question. Perhaps somewhere here with a vehicle calling for dexos1 oil can answer that for us. Does it just call for dexos1 oil, or does it call for dexos1 and a viscosity?

Quaker State pays for the certifying proof and still sells the oil for less than the lying imitators. You drank the Cool-Aid.

Can you point out where Valvoline lied? I bet you can't because Valvoline has stated they are unwilling to pay GM's extortion fee. As a business owner I can see why companies like Valvoline or Castrol would not pay the extortion fee when only a small percentage of the oil they sell actually ends up in a vehicle calling for the Dexos spec, but they have to pay the fee on every quart they sell. They say they meet or exceed the spec in writing and that is fine by me. And no, I don;t drink koolaide.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
229 said:

Can you point out where Valvoline lied? I bet you can't because Valvoline has stated they are unwilling to pay GM's extortion fee. As a business owner I can see why companies like Valvoline or Castrol would not pay the extortion fee when only a small percentage of the oil they sell actually ends up in a vehicle calling for the Dexos spec, but they have to pay the fee on every quart they sell. They say they meet or exceed the spec in writing and that is fine by me. And no, I don;t drink koolaide."

Quaker State pays for the certifying proof and still sells the oil for less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back