Dexcool Picture of the Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZGRider
You know smokers say some of the same things -- "I don't have cancer, why should I quit?" "Why do people demonize cigarettes?" "Cigarettes haven't hurt my health, what's the problem?"

I guess personal experience trumps collective experience, don't you people ever see the pictures of Dexcool damage? Or do you just say -- "It won't happen to me -- I've always had good luck with Dexcool."

You can show smokers pictures of lung cancer and it still doesn't convince them. You can show Dexusers clogged radiators and they say -- "Never happened to me."

I get your point, but that is a very poor comparison.

Most anti-Dexcool people make it sound like there has NEVER been a cooling system problem with any other coolant. I've seen many neglected systems in the last 50+ years. Some of them LONG before Dexcool.

Personally I'm not convinced that Dexcool is the problem - or at least the main problem. I belong to a number of forums and I have also seen personally in real life people who have had problems AFTER changing from Dexcool to something else.
A few years back, somebody close to me bought a new GM vehicle. After reading all this stuff on the internet - within 30 days drained the Dexcool and replaced it with something else, I believe it was G-05. Guess what - he still had the L.I.M. problem within about a year and a half. GM gave him **** for using a "non approved" coolant, but in the end replaced it under warranty.

No I didn't take photos - at the time I didn't see a reason to.
But like George, I've had good luck with Dexcool. So if it isn't broke I see no reason to fix it.

My whole point is - of all those "collective experience"(s) do you have the whole story behind them? I've seen a lot of people seriously neglect their vehicles. They develop a leak (for whatever reason) and instead of fixing the leak run it for many months if not years by just adding water (assuming they ever bother to check it). Then they say "Oh that _______ Dexcool stuff!"

Yet many anti- Dexcool people ignore the "collective experience" of many of us that have had NO problems and a lot of miles with Dexcool! Hmmmm! So what's the difference?

Last edited:
I WILL REPEAT...if you own a Ford,VW,Audi,BENZ,NISSAN,HONDA, anything...you can use any of Peaks,Prestones, OR Zerex, all makes,all models extended life anti freeze...Correct?
And they all contain 2eha Correct?... So if these companies continue to make these products for these cars, how can their be a problem? Why would they want to assume that huge liability if there was a problem with 2eha...I think it's all a marketing game,being played amonghst manufacturers of cars.

Last edited:
also gm made a chevy prizm in 2002 and filled it with dexcool...it is in fact a toyota corolla engine, all corollas were filled with toyota red. any problems? never hear of one..

I agree with you, we never hear of "Prestone Sludge". Dexcool took a lot of criticism that should have been directed at GM's poor engineering decisions.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
You know smokers say some of the same things -- "I don't have cancer, why should I quit?" "Why do people demonize cigarettes?" "Cigarettes haven't hurt my health, what's the problem?"

I guess personal experience trumps collective experience, don't you people ever see the pictures of Dexcool damage? Or do you just say -- "It won't happen to me -- I've always had good luck with Dexcool."

You can show smokers pictures of lung cancer and it still doesn't convince them. You can show Dexusers clogged radiators and they say -- "Never happened to me."

I get your point, but that is a very poor comparison.

Most anti-Dexcool people make it sound like there has NEVER been a cooling system problem with any other coolant. I've seen many neglected systems in the last 50+ years. Some of them LONG before Dexcool.

Personally I'm not convinced that Dexcool is the problem - or at least the main problem. I belong to a number of forums and I have also seen personally in real life people who have had problems AFTER changing from Dexcool to something else.
A few years back, somebody close to me bought a new GM vehicle. After reading all this stuff on the internet - within 30 days drained the Dexcool and replaced it with something else, I believe it was G-05. Guess what - he still had the L.I.M. problem within about a year and a half. GM gave him **** for using a "non approved" coolant, but in the end replaced it under warranty.

No I didn't take photos - at the time I didn't see a reason to.
But like George, I've had good luck with Dexcool. So if it isn't broke I see no reason to fix it.

My whole point is - of all those "collective experience"(s) do you have the whole story behind them? I've seen a lot of people seriously neglect their vehicles. They develop a leak (for whatever reason) and instead of fixing the leak run it for many months if not years by just adding water (assuming they ever bother to check it). Then they say "Oh that _______ Dexcool stuff!"

Yet many anti- Dexcool people ignore the "collective experience" of many of us that have had NO problems and a lot of miles with Dexcool! Hmmmm! So what's the difference?

Listen, its one thing for a IM gasket to fail and have to be repaired, its another thing if the IM gasket fails and the coolant turns to brown sludge and plugs up the entire cooling system thus turning a problem into a major catastrophe. Why use a coolant that has shown problems in poorly designed cooling systems when other coolants have shown no problems in ANY cooling systems? Where are we losing you with this logic? Why use a coolant that has proven to sludge up cooling systems with poorly designed gaskets? Why worry if your radiator cap is leaking? Why worry if your car has plastic IM gaskets?

WHY DEFEND AN INFERIOR PRODUCT IN SPITE OF THE VOLUME OF EVIDENCE THAT PROVES ITS INFERIORITY? DEXCOOL PERFORMS NO BETTER THAT ANY OTHER COOLANT UNDER OPTIMAL CONDITIONS, BUT PERFORMS MORE POORLY THAN MANY OTHER COOLANTS UNDER CERTAIN NON-OPTIMAL CONDITIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S NOT HOW GOOD IT PERFORMS WHEN EVERYTHING IS CORRECT, IT'S HOW GOOD DOES IT PERFORM WHEN THINGS GO WRONG.

I'm sick and tired of many of you Dex-lovers implying that all Dexcool problems arise from poor maintenence or bad gaskets. GM STATED IT WAS GOOD FOR 5 YRS OR 100,000 MILES AND WE TOOK THEM AT THEIR WORD -- THEY CHOSE THE COOLANT AND DESIGNED THE VEHICLE.

They didn't tell us to check the radiator caps until much later and they didn't say that the IM gaskets were faulty. We found that out after much discussion on the Internet and expensive personal experience. Using G-05 would not have resulted in near as much cooling system damages.

Are some of you that dense or illogical?

Last edited:
I'm sick and tired of many of you Dex-lovers implying that all Dexcool problems arise from poor maintenence or bad gaskets.

This is of course the crux of the argument, the nub of the discussion, the crucial point - I have seen absolutely no evidence that Dexcool problems do not arise from poor maintenance practices. It is not as if Dexcool wakes up one day and decides "Today I am going to be a bad boy and wreck the cooling system". There are well-known causes for Dex-sludge. Just because a hundred thousand GM owners neglect their cars does not mean that you have to.

"Are some of you that dense or illogical?

Some, probably many, people think I am dense but I don't think so. I usually keep my vehicles running reliably for 200 to 300k mi/15 years.

George7941 said:
W

BTW, when you say "we exchange heat from the cooling system", what kind of setup are you referring to?

We use engine driven PTO's to power cleaning equipment. The system mounts the thermostat remotely from the block and puts the heater core bypass water through a 2 cubic foot stainless steel box filled with 150 feet of copper tubing that we run the water through to heat it.

Note that our vans routinely sit in the driveway running at 1800 rpm all day long.

oldmaninsc said:
ZGRider said:
WHY DEFEND AN INFERIOR PRODUCT IN SPITE OF THE VOLUME OF EVIDENCE THAT PROVES ITS INFERIORITY? DEXCOOL PERFORMS NO BETTER THAT ANY OTHER COOLANT UNDER OPTIMAL CONDITIONS, BUT PERFORMS MORE POORLY THAN MANY OTHER COOLANTS UNDER CERTAIN NON-OPTIMAL CONDITIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT'S NOT HOW GOOD IT PERFORMS WHEN EVERYTHING IS CORRECT, IT'S HOW GOOD DOES IT PERFORM WHEN THINGS GO WRONG.
I'm sick and tired of many of you Dex-lovers implying that all Dexcool problems arise from poor maintenence or bad gaskets. GM STATED IT WAS GOOD FOR 5 YRS OR 100,000 MILES AND WE TOOK THEM AT THEIR WORD -- THEY CHOSE THE COOLANT AND DESIGNED THE VEHICLE.
Are some of you that dense or illogical?

That is a great example of a truly ignorant post. As a former NIASE certified tech with almost 40 years of serious wrenching behind me I am always amazed at the ferocity of the 'fanboy', be he positive or negative.

Wave your flag loudly and proudly, but you only discredit yourself and your purported 'facts'. It's ok to have strong opinions but when you attempt to pound them down someone's throat you're NOT going to get far.

The neat thing is you get to use whatever coolant you want!

I've always found that when someone disagrees with me, using lots of capital letters and exclamation points makes me feel better.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

We use engine driven PTO's to power cleaning equipment. The system mounts the thermostat remotely from the block and puts the heater core bypass water through a 2 cubic foot stainless steel box filled with 150 feet of copper tubing that we run the water through to heat it.

That is a neat setup!

150 ft of copper tubing must be tighly packed inside the 2 cu.ft. box. I imagine the copper tubing is at least 3/8in so as not to unduly restrict the flow of water.

Thanks for posting photo: I drained and flushed my Honda Valkyrie 6 cyl motorcycle with distilled then added Prestone Dexcool. Ran for 5 yrs and drained . . . if I hadnt known it was in for 5 yrs I would of put it back in. It looked as drinkable as cherry kool aid. Zero scum on the coolant tank or the radiator cap. Only God knows if the interior gaskets are disolving, and a gasket incompatability problem could be occuring. I used it because 7 years ago it was one of the few on the market boasting silicate free - and that met Honda's requirement. I havent heard WHY Honda does not like DexCool. C'mon after all Obama's new health care will kill me long before the DexCool disolves the gaskets!

That is what impresses me about Dexcool performance - the sparkling clean cooling systems and the "cherry kool aid" appearance of the coolant. Perhaps it is an illusion created by the orange/pink colour. I haven't noticed the same "sparkling clean" appearance with G-05 but that might be because of my limited experience with G-05.

Originally Posted By: George7941
That is what impresses me about Dexcool performance - the sparkling clean cooling systems and the "cherry kool aid" appearance of the coolant. Perhaps it is an illusion created by the orange/pink colour. I haven't noticed the same "sparkling clean" appearance with G-05 but that might be because of my limited experience with G-05.

Yeah me too. Here is my sludged up system with "Deathcool" after 4 1/2 years.
LOL.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1447465

Last edited:
Dexcool problems are pretty easy to understand if you had a vehicle that needed an IM gasket repair or had another failure due to the coolant.

We can debate it but the attorneys have already done that.

That's why GM was paying for a portion of these repairs.

If 2eha is the problem, then why do we never here of the same problems with peak,prestone,zerex, etc...that also contain 2eha?

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Dexcool problems are pretty easy to understand if you had a vehicle that needed an IM gasket repair or had another failure due to the coolant.

We can debate it but the attorneys have already done that.

That's why GM was paying for a portion of these repairs.

Sure, especially if you rule out poor design and bad gaskets to start with. As I've stated before, I've seen people change out Dexcool to G-05 or other coolant within a very short time from the factory and STILL had the LIM problems.
So I guess in those cases Dexcool is STILL the problem?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
If 2eha is the problem, then why do we never here of the same problems with peak,prestone,zerex, etc...that also contain 2eha?

I know you have asked the question a few times but the Dexcool-haters don't seem to have an answer.

Here are two postings from the thread Oldmaninsc linked to

"My company had a fleet of '99-'01 Savana 2500 5.7 powered vans-EVERY SINGLE ONE had DEX related leakage problems eventually-even the 2 that I had."

"This is a classic case of Internet Justice at its finest. We run a fleet of GMC Savana 3500 vans with heat exchangers directly plumbed into the cooling system. These vans have DOUBLE the volume of coolant. All Dex Cool.

I'm talking hard service, how about 175000 miles and 5000 hours of stationary operation? Thats equivalent to almost 400k miles!

No coolant issues EVER! How can this be? I guarantee these vans have some air in the coolant at almost any time.

Now that everyone has "heard" about dex problems the whole internet is abuzz with experts."

Two diametrically opposed experiences with Dexcool. Only explanation I can think of is the 3500s (second post) are diesels which don't seem to have the intake gasket problems.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Originally Posted By: lucerne06

I know you have asked the question a few times but the Dexcool-haters don't seem to have an answer.

I have an answer.

Anybody who puts in one of these aftermarket "all-makes" coolants is, by definition, maintaining their cooling system at least to SOME extent. And I think one thing we can all agree on is that neglect is the biggest factor in turning Dexcool into DexSludge. So any system being topped off or flushed with this 'all makes' garbage will have relatively fresh coolant. And even if the coolant DOES turn to sludge thereafter... if we're talking about a GM vehicle, Dexcool will still be blamed rather than the all-makes stuff, based on reputation alone.

IMO, if you maintain your vehicle and keep an eye on the cooling system, then odds are you won't have a sludge problem. But I still don't know why you'd take the risk when demonstrably better alternatives are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back