Dexcool leak into oil - LC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, unfortunately my 3.1 Pontiac lost the lower intake gasket and I got Dexcool into my GC which only had 900 miles on it. The leak has been corrected, but the inside of the motor is not longer the pristine clean surface that it was just a week ago. I am using LC in the oil (fresh dino oil installed by dealer after the fix). I am going to change back to GC after 1,000 miles. Will the LC take care of this layer of varnish or whatever it is on the rockers/springs/head surface that I can see through the fill cap or do I need a more drastic measure. Based on the LC web site, it appears that it will take care of it.

Not sure about the varnish, but my experience is that LC with a coolant leak does great, especially in GM engines.

how much coolant went thru engine?

i would do a double dose of LC now, then another dino oil change in 100 miles with another double dose of LC
there was lots of antifreeze/moisture/acid condensation inside your engine coating everything....multiple oil changes will help flush it out

run FP in gas, has anti corrosive properties also

watch for signs of rod/main bearing failure, antifreeze is death on bearings

When these coolant seeps happen, it's slow and over an extended period, but not like you put lots of coolant into the crankcase. Many times, the leaks are more external than internal, but still leaks per se.

I suspect that, by observation, only the most long term situations with no maintenance checks would be where bearing issues might surface. In modern vehicles with (hopefully) functioning coolant level sensors (in the radiator tank and in the coolant recovery reservoir), low coolant would be detected much sooner than if those sensors were not there. HOPEFULLY, somebody is checking the oil between change intervals too.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back