Dexcool in my '09 Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a used Impala a couple of months ago.
I am slightly nervous about the stock Dexcool. Of course, I would never let it go as long as is recommended (100k, I think), but...should I change to a different coolant? It would certainly be difficult to get all of the old Dexcool out.

Thanks,
Bob

As long as you make sure the system stays full, has no leaks, and change the coolant every few years, it should be fine. Just keep an eye on the system to make sure the coolant doesn't start to look off-color, cloudy, dirty, etc. If it starts to, change it. Most of the newer systems are just fine with Dexcool.

Dexcool is not a problem in and of itself, but when used wrong, it can cause them.

I've owned 3 different GM vehicles with Dexcool, and it's been fine in all of them. 5 years or 100,000 miles is easily doable with this coolant. You'll probably not make 100,000 miles in 5 years anyway, so look at the time more than the mileage. With a 2009, you're probably half-way through the life of the coolant already in terms of time. Most people see the 100,000 mile recommendation and forget that it's 100,000 miles OR 5 years, whichever comes first.

Dexcool is fine as long as you change it when necessary (as mentioned, 100k miles OR 5 years, whichever comes first), and your cooling system doesn't have any leaks or anything. It seems Dexcool doesn't handle faulty cooling systems well, but is a good coolant when used appropriately in a maintained vehicle.

Excellent info, thanks.

I will probably change it at routine intervals.

Due to difficulty of doing a full system flush at home, is it acceptable to suck the coolant out of the radiator, perhaps every 2-3yrs? It will leave some old coolant, but most of the coolant will be refreshed, so to speak.

Otherwise, I can have my mechanic do a full flush and fill (he is an EXCELLENT mechanic, but a touch pricey).

A drain and fill like you're mentioning (there should also be a drain valve on the radiator) is fine. As long as you keep the system clean, a full flush shouldn't be needed, as draining the radiator should replace at least half of the coolant in the system.

a 2009 will either have the 3.5 or 3.9 and if I am not wrong both of those designs don't have coolant running through the intake manifold.

there is a 3.5 (lx9) based off the 3.4 but that did have coolant through the intake but that was phased out a few years ago. The current 3.5 is based off the 3.9.

If you decide to replace the coolant get one of the exchange machines. They do an excellent job in the hands of a good operator, and you can bring your own coolant.

I would look it over thoroughly and drive it to component failure (once exchanged) before even touching the cooling system if it's in good shape.

I have 2002 silverado since new now with 115k miles. Changed only twice which was once around 4 years than recently which went 5 years. Let all old fluid settle in clear container and only had slight amount if rust/crud maybe 1/8 of a cup in bottom. Changed both times with havoline dexcool. Seems to work well for me.

You should use green conventional antifreeze. Thats what I use in my GM vehicle. It is really important to flush out your radiator really good before switching to another coolant. I don't like Prestone's universal antifreeze. Prestone is made by the same company that manufactures Fram. Zerex is good. Here's how to flush your radiator: http://www.peakauto.com/videos-how_to.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back