Dex6 in a WS Toyota trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for an economical trans fluid for the fj. Some say that max life works. No where on the bottle does max life say that Its comparable with totota ws fluid.

The wpp made dex6 does in fact say that it will work for the ws fluid. The other brands,Valvoline,Castrol do not say anything about ws.

Dealer here wants too much for the ws fluid. This is the first car I have had with an automatic transmission that I have no clue about.

Thoughts

WS compatibility is listed on the site and their PDS
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
I have been looking for an economical trans fluid for the fj. Some say that max life works. No where on the bottle does max life say that Its comparable with totota ws fluid.

Thoughts

Every time I've bought it, WS compatibility was right on the back of the gallon jug.

Besides that, MaxLife is WAY better than WS, which is a prettly weak fluid and well known to fail prematurely. Go with MaxLife, and go with peace. It is a poor DexIII or T-IV replacement, but an upgrade for WS.

Last edited:
Yeah, MaxLife will be fine.
thumbsup2.gif

I've been running MaxLife in my '05 4Runner since 2012. WS was not listed on the containers back then. Pretty sure it is now. Maybe you are looking at old containers?

Last edited:
I bought Toyota WS fluids from Ebay. Just look for a seller with 100% or close to 100% positive ratings. There's also several Toyota Dealers as sellers.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
thumbsup2.gif

I've been running MaxLife in my '05 4Runner since 2012. WS was not listed on the containers back then. Pretty sure it is now. Maybe you are looking at old containers?

I doubt it. I was at Walmart.

I have used MaxLife as a Honda DW-1 equivalent with excellant results.
I am going to use Idemitsu WS equivalent in our Lexus GS350.
MaxLife is synthetic; Toyota WS is not.
That's my understanding.
It is pretty hard to beat the MaxLife price.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

Thoughts

Every time I've bought it, WS compatibility was right on the back of the gallon jug.

Besides that, MaxLife is WAY better than WS, which is a prettly weak fluid and well known to fail prematurely. Go with MaxLife, and go with peace. It is a poor DexIII or T-IV replacement, but an upgrade for WS.

Why do you say it's a bad T-IV replacement? Is it too thin?

I spent hrs last night studying this. It seems that the ws fluid won't conduct electricity. This is needed in a Prius with it's high voltage battery pack. Not so much in our fj.

thumbsup2.gif

Yep, says WS.

DDC9BC28-207B-4C8E-B1EA-8D87F0F88A6F.jpeg

EC7C88F3-AA58-4ECE-88E2-260004E120AD.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, says WS.

Yeah, I've got a couple gallon jugs sitting on a shelf in my garage that I'm almost certain lists WS, too. It was too cold last night for me to want to go out and take a picture for this thread, though.
laugh.gif
Maybe this afternoon when I get home.

I had this same issue, local dealer wants $12.99 a quart for WS. Maxlife says it's compatible with WS either mixing or doing a complete fluid change. I emailed valvoline about this. The viscosity is very similar and I was told it can last a long time. It comes out to $4.50 a quart when you buy the gallon jug at walmart, hard to beat that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Corollaman
I had this same issue, local dealer wants $12.99 a quart for WS. Maxlife says it's compatible with WS either mixing or doing a complete fluid change. I emailed valvoline about this. The viscosity is very similar and I was told it can last a long time. It comes out to $4.50 a quart when you buy the gallon jug at walmart, hard to beat that.

$17.99/qt here from the dealer and that's with my shop discount.

It replaces WS which is a semi syn... I have used Maxlife in Toyota's, Lexus, Jaguar and Honda vehicles... If you do not want to use it, then don't. LOL.

Did you look at the Supertech Dex VI when you were at WalMart, Chris? It lists WS. May be another option for you if you're not comfortable with MaxLife.

Originally Posted by Corollaman

$17.99/qt here from the dealer and that's with my shop discount.

Toyota WS Ebay

I spent hrs last night studying this. It seems that the ws fluid won't conduct electricity. This is needed in a Prius with it's high voltage battery pack. Not so much in our fj.

Last time i checked, the battery wasn't immersed in ATF. j/k.

You are spending way too much time rethinking what 95% of BITOG'rs with a Toyota would do without a second's consideration.... Maxlife JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back