Dex VI vs. Mobil synthetic ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of my toyota and volvo call for Dexron III.
I can't decide between Castrol Dex VI and Mobil synthetic ATF.
Mobil seems like multi vehicle formula, whereas Dex VI is simply Dex VI.
By the way, I can't find Mobil Dex VI in my area. I don't really care about the brand though.
Should I go with whichever is cheaper?

Dexron VI is a blend, not a true/pure synthetic.
The choice is yours.
Just changing the fluid every 35,000 miles or so puts you ahead of the average owner.

Just because it's a 'blend' (as you put it) does not mean that it's inferior. I have seen a number of 'true synthetics' that I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole. I've said this before but I'll say it again the wide misuse of the term 'blend' on this site is silly. All ATFs (and most other lubricants) are blends of some combination of additives and base oils.

Whitewolf:
What are your thoughts on Dex VI in a Toyota that calls for T-IV?
ST Dex VI states that its 'suitable' for this application and I don't think that T-IV is synthetic. Would Dex VI be a step up?

Originally Posted By: LOLVO
Both of my toyota and volvo call for Dexron III.
I can't decide between Castrol Dex VI and Mobil synthetic ATF.
Mobil seems like multi vehicle formula, whereas Dex VI is simply Dex VI.
By the way, I can't find Mobil Dex VI in my area. I don't really care about the brand though.
Should I go with whichever is cheaper?

Why does the multi-vehicle part matter, if your cars call for Dex III?

I may be wrong, but the "multi vehicle" approach that has been used for M1 ATF is not as one size fits all as other ATFs. IIRC, the M1 atf doesnt meet a whole host of specs the way that other multi-vehicle ATFs. That may have changed though...

Anyway, the real question is, while Dex VI is backward compatible for use in Dex II and Dex III applications in GM vehicles, is there an engineering reason why this may not hold true for non-GM ATs.

Is think not, perhaps Whitewolf can give insight to that (I have vested interest because I may run Dex VI in my Dex II-specced 1981 MB).

that's one thing that got me when I was looking for a trans fluid for my 96 sunfire. It called for dex 3. I couldn't decide between Dex VI or a Multi-vehicle fluid. I split hairs and picked up maxlife ATF

I've got several different (but in some cases connected) questions and if you don't mind, I'll try and address them in one response.

pbm ~ DEXRON(R)-VI in a Toyota that calls for T-IV:- It's hard to comment(which is not terribly helpful to you) but in my view, having tested the T-IV and the WS, the WS appears to be a backward step from T-IV. I would say that T-IV was closer to DEXRON(R)-VI than WS is, but I'm sure you'll appreciate that when a company like GM builds their own fluid, they're not taking into account other OEM hardware, such as friction materials, for instance. I don't know if that helps or leaves you with the same dilemma!

Eddie ~ I do not agree with the so called 'Universal ATFs' either and agree with you on that point. Anyone that knows anything about the various OEM approvals would instantly realise that many of the Universal ATF claims (if not all) are completely ridiculous and in some cases the marketing material is so bad (due to their lack of knowledge) that they can't even spell correctly! Doesn't inspire much confidence, does it!

JHZR2 ~ Your comment is a valid one and an interesting point of debate. DEXRON(R)-VI was developed to be fully backward compatible in GM Hydramatic transmissions. In previous years, many other OEMs had taken advantage of the extensive testing carried out by GM and just simply "bolted on" extra requirements to suit their own needs. Needless to say, when GM decided to move forwards and develop DEXRON(R)-VI, the primary focus was what GM transmissions require, both for now and in the future. Obviously GM are not going to carry out validation testing in other OEM applications that are not relevant to their requirements. In theory, you are correct in that if the recommended fluid was appropriate for DEXRON(R)-II, III, or any of the precursors, it should be good for DEXRON(R)-VI. The problem is that in saying that it is not known whether those OEMs made other changes to, say, friction materials or control systems that may or may not allow that assumption to be made. I know it's a 'woolly' answer, but there just isn't a simple yes/no.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Dexron VI is a blend, not a true/pure synthetic.
The choice is yours.
Just changing the fluid every 35,000 miles or so puts you ahead of the average owner.

what about Valvolines Dexron VI? its say full synthetic on the bottle but is it really?

the bottle cleary say Valvoline Dexron VI FULL SYNTHETIC. Im asking is it really or is it [censored]? Im using it in my car now and next time around i dont wanna pay $6.59 or more for [censored] Dex VI.

Originally Posted By: TheThickster
the bottle cleary say Valvoline Dexron VI FULL SYNTHETIC. Im asking is it really or is it [censored]? Im using it in my car now and next time around i dont wanna pay $6.59 or more for [censored] Dex VI.

With Valvoline ATFs, if they call their Dex VI "fully synthetic" you can be sure it's Group III. That's why they label their ATF+4 "full synthetic."

There's nothing wrong with it if it is a genuine licensed DEXRON-VI product with a license number on the package. You could easily pay more for a far worse product if you think that the word 'synthetic' is at all meaningful these days except as a marketing term.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Why does the multi-vehicle part matter, if your cars call for Dex III?

I may be wrong, but the "multi vehicle" approach that has been used for M1 ATF is not as one size fits all as other ATFs. IIRC, the M1 atf doesnt meet a whole host of specs the way that other multi-vehicle ATFs. That may have changed though...

Anyway, the real question is, while Dex VI is backward compatible for use in Dex II and Dex III applications in GM vehicles, is there an engineering reason why this may not hold true for non-GM ATs.

Is think not, perhaps Whitewolf can give insight to that (I have vested interest because I may run Dex VI in my Dex II-specced 1981 MB).

The multi vehicle part does not matter really. But what's in the fluid that makes it "multi-vehicle" type rather than just one specific fluid type? Just a mixture of lots of different ATFs?

Originally Posted By: TheThickster
what dexron VI is worth the price?

I can only find Castrol Dexron VI in my area. I've never seen Valvoline or mobil Dexron VI.
Castrol Dexron VI runs around $7 per quart and Mobil synthetic ATF is $8 per quart at Autozone.

I've been running Pennzoil ATF Dexron III since it's the cheapest Dexron III I can find in a gallon jug container. I keep the fluid "red" in all my vehicles. Maybe I should just continue to run Dexron III until it's all gone.

All of the DEXRON-VI ATFs are VERY similar. They have to be in order to get an approval. Lower quality is not accepted.

Someone here may be able to point the poster towards some DexVI if his location was a little narrower than "USA". I guess that USA is a little more helpful than "northern hemisphere."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back