Dex-VI vs Amsoil SS ATF 4L60-E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to do a complete flush via the cooler line on my 2008 Silverado. I changed the filter and 5qts in the pan at 25k miles with dex-vi. Truck has 51k miles on it now. I'm looking to replace all 12 quarts in my 4L60-E transmission.

Should I leave the filter alone since I've already changed it once? Or should I change it out again? Also would I benefit going with a complete change with Amsoil SS ATF vs going with a group III synthetic Dexron-VI?

I tow a car trailer loaded a couple times a month ~7000lbs, so that's why I'm servicing this 4L60-E so often. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
IIRC the 08 Silverado Z71 has a factory external trans cooler?

The Amsoil would be better than any regular DEX VI. But seeing as you service it so much it shouldn't matter.

If you do go Dex VI I recommend the Valvoline DEX VI being it's a full syn.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
IIRC the 08 Silverado has a factory external trans cooler?

The Amsoil would be better than any regular DEX VI. But seeing as you service it so much it shouldn't matter.

If you do go Dex VI I recommend the Valvoline DEX VI being it's a full syn.

Yes it does have and external cooler. I've never seen trans temps above 200F thus far. The last Dex-vi I used was the Valvoline synthetic

If it has been working, I would go with it. I like Valvoline it made the shifts more firm when I did my drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If you do choose Amsoil ATF, make sure it is the Amsoil ATL.

Yes, that is the one I was looking at. The Fuel Efficient 5.9CST fluid.

MolaKule do you consider ATL superior to a Synthetic Dex-VI?

Last edited:
Since transmissions are essentially sealed systems, changing the filter is not necessary. A transmission filter is designed to keep debris from being sucked into the transmission pump. The filter gets backwashed every time you shut the engine off.

As far as which fluid to use, either Dexron VI, MaxLife ATF, or the Amsoil SS ATF will do the job just fine.

Another way to do a complete tranny flush is to just do a few suck and fills over a few months. This will get all the fluid up to spec.

Personally I would rather go with the DEXRON-VI since in order to qualify we know that it has passed the required testing. If you really wanted a genuine synthetic you could get a DEXRON-HP. I think it's better to have a fluid with proven performance rather than just claimed performance, but that's just me.

Transmissions are not sealed systems. Filters don't backwash.

I myself wouldn't change a filter until 100k. But, if you're dumping dexronVI for a full synthetic ATF, I would definitely drop the pan, change the filter, clean the pan, .....

Dexron-HP is too expensive, but could be considered a 1st choice.

If I had to choose among ATF's, I'd pick Amsoil ATL, Redline D6, Torco LoVis, Neo Lo Vis,.... over any licensed Dexron-VI.

2hwd2j7.jpg

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Transmissions are not sealed systems. Filters don't backwash.

I myself wouldn't change a filter until 100k. But, if you're dumping dexronVI for a full synthetic ATF, I would definitely drop the pan, change the filter, clean the pan, .....

Dexron-HP is too expensive, but could be considered a 1st choice.

If I had to choose among ATF's, I'd pick Amsoil ATL, Redline D6, Torco LoVis, Neo Lo Vis,.... over any licensed Dexron-VI.

2hwd2j7.jpg

Maybe I should have used the term "closed" system instead of "sealed". The only way an automatic transmission gets foreign material in them is if that material is put in through the dipstick, fill plug, etc.

A transmission filter is typically below the pump in an automatic transmission. When the engine shuts off, the fluid settles back into the pan essentially reversing the flow slightly. Any material will be washed back into the pan.

Transmission filters are essentially to keep any casting debris or worn clutch material from making its way into the valve bodies. If your transmission filter is clogged it is clogged with transmission parts and a fluid and filter change aren't going to help. SOme automatics simply use a wire screen as a filter and those automatics last just as long as automatics with a mesh filter.

Foreign material is WEAR... clutch dust, bearing wear, gear wear, seal wear, solenoid wear....

I can drain 3 quarts out of my transmission when I drop the pan. If I drop the filter, I get another quart. There is no BACKWASHING.

The OP doesn't have a screen so don't change the topic. Plus, none of the several thousand transmissions that I've serviced 'settled' or backwashed. Life is dependent on driving style, engineering defects, and fluid. You will notice that the newer longer lasting fluids have moved away from screens to actual media(felt).

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Foreign material is WEAR... clutch dust, bearing wear, gear wear, seal wear, solenoid wear....

I can drain 3 quarts out of my transmission when I drop the pan. If I drop the filter, I get another quart. There is no BACKWASHING.

The OP doesn't have a screen so don't change the topic. Plus, none of the several thousand transmissions that I've serviced 'settled' or backwashed. Life is dependent on driving style, engineering defects, and fluid. You will notice that the newer longer lasting fluids have moved away from screens to actual media(felt).

I have to agree with Greasymechtech, there is no major "backwash" occurring. The purpose of a filter is to "trap" small particles.

In the case of, for example most Nissans, there are accessible drain plugs on the transmissions and other driveline components. There is only a "strainer" in the sump of the AT.

However, for many other makes, there are no accessible drain plugs, only a sump and pan gasket and a synthetic media filter.

Why?

I think the reason is this:

For Nissans and the like they want you to change the fluid often enough to dilute or remove the particulates since the sump has only a strainer to prevent any large particles from getting to the pump.

For GM and the like they want you to change the ATF at extended periods and only when the pan is dropped, and then change the filter as well.

This is one of the reasons I have owned three Nissans so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back