Sub Viscosity @ 210 = 43.9

Should be 42-51

Flashpoint = 385

Should be >355

Water = 0.0

Should be

Insolubles = TR

Should be

trans might have been flushed around 60k accoring to previous owner. but still looks pretty good i think. trans cooler added around 70k on unit

Yeah, looks good but viscosity is thin. Fluid sheared quickly.
More frequent drain intervals needed, or a thicker/more stout ATF, or some transmission snot(like Lucas).

Pennzoil/QS high(er) mileage ATF's are some of the thickest OTC ATF's out there.

yeah i think the fluid gets too hot which i causing the shearing. i have the trans cooler as noted, but i think i might need a bigger one. although it is about 12"x10" plate stlye cooler located infront of clutch fan which should be more than enough

oil is fine continue on with normal maintenece wish lab would show cSt like everyone else in the world SUS is older than me.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:
yeah i think the fluid gets too hot which i causing the shearing. i have the trans cooler as noted, but i think i might need a bigger one. although it is about 12"x10" plate stlye cooler located infront of clutch fan which should be more than enough

The only way to determine if you have enough cooling is with an ATF temp gauge. Do you have one?

Besides a cooler, you could also increase the ATF sump capacity either with a deeper pan, if available, or an external sump.

I think this looks good and would tell me the transmission could go to 20,000 miles before a change. Could be longer but I think 30,000 would be the max between changes.

The fluid is fine. Yes, the viscosity is about 5.5cst, but the new Dexron-VI fluid will start out at 6.0cst and still provide good anti-wear protection. However, Dexron-VI and MerconSP, as well as many of the newer low viscosity fluids, will remain very stable throughout their life viscosity wise.

It's unlikely that the fluid will thin beyond this. Instead, it'll slowly oxidize and thicken back near its starting viscosity eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back