Dex-Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer zerex. some brands that advertise all makes and models versions of dex may play with their chemistry, and texaco brand may have some of the harsher compounds that effect gaskets.

Much speculation, but it is based upon a lot of reading that ive done in the past based upon various searches...

I do only a lower radiator hose drain every few years. Just did mine replacing the block heater on my Duramax @ around 4 yrs 50k miles. I used the GM brand bought at the dealership so I could be sure it would be perfectly compatible with what's in there, knowing I wasn't going to get all of the old stuff out.

any name brand Dex-cool will work Prestone, Zerex or even GM
for that matter any Dex-cool will work if its approved Ive used supertech and other cheaper names and it all works that same for me...the gaskets always eventually leak

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
any name brand Dex-cool will work Prestone, Zerex or even GM
for that matter any Dex-cool will work if its approved Ive used supertech and other cheaper names and it all works that same for me...the gaskets always eventually leak

Gaskets leak? Here we go again.... Radiator drain and fills every few years with ANY coolant will most likely keep you with a leak free clean system... Most people that have had leaks was because of not maintaining their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I prefer zerex.

Same here.
I usually go out of my way to find it, as most of the NAPAs around here have stopped stocking it.
frown.gif

I did try the ShellZone 50/50 this last change though, I will see how that holds up.

Any Dexcool will protect against corrosion well. I prefer Havoline and then Zerex. They appear to be more resitant to gumming. Also I think potentially from what I know of their formulas they may be less agressive with some plastics, but that's not a big issue with dexcool as it is sometimes made out to be.

Air in a Dex-Cool cooling system is a major killer of gaskets. Make sure to get all the air out. I read somewhere... (can't disclose the source), for my '06 Chev Malibu 3.5 I had to run the engine at 2k rpms at operating temp; not above 2k. I chose to drive the car on a 45+ mph country road in 3rd gear holding at 2k rpms (~40 mph) with the heat on. I plan to do it again in about a month.

Dex cool is much maligned but actually a good product.

All its problems are way behind it, no real issues anymore.

We run our fleet trucks till component failure from new, and that's rarely less than 150-200k miles. All GM v8's.

I just did a flush and fill in my 1997 Sierra. Not sure the brand my shop used though. Would I be best off buying a gallon from the GM dealer or would any of the 50/50 Dex mixes at Wal-Mart be safe to use? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I just did a flush and fill in my 1997 Sierra. Not sure the brand my shop used though. Would I be best off buying a gallon from the GM dealer or would any of the 50/50 Dex mixes at Wal-Mart be safe to use? Thanks

buy a gallon from dealer, get extra empty jug and mix it...two for one deal.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back