Dex-cool picture of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota Red after almost 7 years - the overflow tank was just as clean and clear, dont have a pic
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_lTSUFKHt2fw/TTj9o5...02010%20002.jpg
Dexcool a little over 8 years
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lTSUFKHt2fw/TTj9pG...02010%20008.jpg

Is it my fault for not changing it sooner? I dunno. I'm not sure why oil would ever mix with water if an engine is designed properly. The same thing has happened with 3 other GM cars that I know well. FWIW I have a toyota sludge engine also and I think its probably a [censored] design too. However either situation can probably be remedied with regular maintenance.

Im apparently not very good at posting pics
frown.gif

Last edited:
Toyota Red after almost 7 years - the overflow tank was just as clean and clear, dont have a pic
Car%20Maintenance%20Coolant%20Jan%202010%20002.jpg

Dexcool a little over 8 years
Car%20Maintenance%20Coolant%20Jan%202010%20008.jpg

Last edited:
Glad dex cool worked out for those that it did. Some engines it ABSOLUTELY was an issue in. The 3.1 is well documented. I do not know ANYONE who has 100K plus miles with a 5.7 Vortec 1996-1999 model years that has not had to do the lower intake manifold gasket surgery. I'm sure they are out there, but I sure haven't found anyone, and I'm one of those guys who asks people stuff like that. Some people convert to regular green and some stay with Dex cool after the job and with the new gasket materials in use, the problem is largely solved. Fact is, Dex Cool is a plasticizer and will harm some of the old gaskets. Dex Cool is fabulous stuff if you don't have the wrong kind of gasket and your cooling system is near 100% healthy. If not, it can be trouble. I for one, flushed the dex cool out and put in regular green.

You do now. Nice to meet you.

We owned several 5.7 GMC Savana 3500's and never had any issues with Dex. All run 200-300k miles total with Factory Fill until water pump failure or until dead!

Toughest duty cycle imaginable, used as stationary power sources and driven inner city only. GVW every single day of their lives was just short of 9500 pounds.

The three pictures in this thread show clean metal and coolant from long term use of Dex-Cool. Nice. What we don't see are pictures af gaskets.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The three pictures in this thread show clean metal and coolant from long term use of Dex-Cool. Nice. What we don't see are pictures af gaskets.

In my case after 6 years (almost to the day) and over 75000 miles - my SUV never used any coolant. In the 6 years I think I added coolant to it twice and that was about 4 ounces each time.

If Dexcool does indeed eat away at the gaskets it must take some time - longer than the 6 years I owned the vehicle!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back