Dex Cool length

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 06 Vette with less than 50k miles. Still have original Dex Cool in there. Looks fine, tests fine. Any reason to change it?

It breaks down over time. Best to do a drain and fill to replenish the additives. Dex cool is a good coolant but will break down after 5+ years. Your low mileage helps some but it's still due.

I am not going to get into a dex sludge argument again here.Unless you have changed dozens of intake gaskets and cleaned hundreds of heater cores and seen what it leaves behind.

The reason I asked "why" was because the poster said that it looks fine AND it tests fine. If it tests fine why would you waste money? Kind of make me think of a guy that runs a UOA on his engine oil, the lab says it's good for another 5,000 miles then changes it at 2,500 miles just to be safe.

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
I am not going to get into a dex sludge argument again here.Unless you have changed dozens of intake gaskets and cleaned hundreds of heater cores and seen what it leaves behind.
Odd, the cooling system in my '04 Silverdo is spotless.

Last edited:
I'd change it if it were mine because it's cheap p-o-m (piece of mind) on a 'keeper' car....on the other hand I wouldn't worry about having waited this long as some have suggested.

8 years and 50K seems like a perfect time to change it.

I'm changing the FF coolant (Toyota pink SLL) in my 2008 Corolla next month at 72K. Toyota claims it's good for 10 years but I feel 7 is enough (the car was manufactured in Sept. 2007).
I'm using Peak Global Lifetime.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
The reason I asked "why" was because the poster said that it looks fine AND it tests fine. If it tests fine why would you waste money?

Just a guess here: By "tests fine", he probably means that the freeze protection is fine. Freeze protection will remain indefinitely, while corrosion protection drops off over time. That's why Dex (and many others) is supposed to be changed after 5 years.

Last edited:
I WOULD change it. I got my truck with 75K miles and it had FF Coolant, Diff, Trans, PS, and brake fluid. I changed my Factory DEX COOl at 9 Years and 75K miles and it came out looking BRAND NEW. However, If I had owned the vehicle it would be drained every 5 Years.

The corrosion protection is what needs to be replenished.

Dex cool arguments are beat to death, summary is an follows...

Dex cool is a fantastic coolant, but not compatible with all types of gaskets. A properly gasketed system will maintain a spotless appearance for many years.

I'm a GM always loved GM their vehicles have treated me well but if it was me I would removed the dexcool. Might just be me and my love for 3800 series 1-3 and their bad relationship with dexcool but yea.

Conv. Anti freeze and extended go bad slowly over time. ((Granted its quicker (in total time)) then dexcool, but when dexcool goe bad it goes bad quick..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back