Dex 4 plus additive pkg makes Dex 6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKN

So-I have a 2011-Silverado that I use for a tow vehicle. I bought everything I needed for an oil change and I couldn't get the drain plug loose. It wouldn't budge.(Last time it was changed by the dealer was back in March). So I take my oil and filter down to the local Jiffy Lube and got a whole $2.00 off for my own oil and $2.00 off for my filter for bringing it myself. Anyway -it has 45,000 miles and they tell me it's going to need a transmission service at 50,000 (which is correct for me since I towed my travel trailer 12,000 miles last year-they didn't know that however) otherwise the manufacturer says to change at 100K.

Anyway I asked them what Dex 6 fluid they use. He said they use Dex 4 but put in an additive package to make it a Dex 6 equivalent. Does this sound correct? Comments?

Don't use that stuff. There is no Dex 4. Its just a multi vehicle fluid Dex III/Mercon and they add some sort of additive to it.
I suggest either doing it yourself with Dex VI fluid or let the dealer or a well known indy do it.

Do not use a quick lube place for anything other than oil. Avoid that if possible. They are notorious for using the wrong fluids and sometimes charging for work they don't perform.

If you need a transmission service take it to the dealership which will use the correct DexronVI fluid or do it yourself.

You can easily go through the dipstick tube with a $5 Harbor freight pump and get 4+ quarts out. If you do it yourself use Maxlife dex/merc which is a synthetic superior to DexronVI.

If you can't do it yourself find a car x or midas or better yet a local mechanic.

Don't walk but run away!

Go to the dealer for the correct service.

I find that the price at the dealer is not bad either.

Same goes for regular oil and filter changes if you don't do it yourself. Bring your own oil if you like.

In your 6L80E?

Quote:
He said they use Dex 4 but put in an additive package to make it a Dex 6 equivalent.

Wow, did he say that with a straight face?! You were lied to, of course.

DEXRON VI has been blended to GM's specifications since ~2006 so any reputable outfit will have it in stock.

No such thing as Dex IV, as others have said. I'd only use Dex VI and take it somewhere trustworthy. A dealer or independent shop, either one as long as they have a good reputation.

For a vehicle specifying Dex VI I'd use Dex VI or a fluid which I'd approved for it, i.e. MaxLife.

To play devils advocate, everyone here is going to tell you that the shop will use a Dex III / Mercon multi vehicle ATF and add an additive pack to "convert" the fluid into something that becomes equivalent of Dex VI. This is true, that is what the shop will do. They will also tell you that this is a bad thing and to use the appropriate fluid. However, if you were to tell them that the additive in question is Lubegard (sp?) They'd tell you that you're using God's nectar and it will do no harm.

To sum things up, using Dex VI is the best thing to do. If you choose otherwise just get all products used in writing and ask them to show you their application charts and product guarantee/warranty.

He did indeed say that. I think what he meant (as another poster had suggested) is that they have a universal fluid they put an additive in. Thanks for all the replies. I will not go back here. It's just I couldn't get the drain plug out and I had already purchased the oil.

With what they charged for labor I maybe saved $7.00 over going to the dealer.

This is another example of limited fluid knowledge of mechanics alike. In my search for a good transmission shop I found one called pro transmission which where they were able to answer all my tough questions about their rebuild process but when it came time to ask if I could provide my own fluid the conversation shifted to what they use, and the guy said which I quote "Dex 4 plus lubeguard red"

So I have a reputable transmission shop with good reviewes and a 3 year 36k mile warranty but they don't know the difference between dex/merc, dex 4 or DexronVI. (obviously dex 4 doesn't exist) Just a small caveat, but I'd still run away from the quick lube places and if you do use them watch them throughly to see if they even perform the service!

Get a data sheet and msds from the quicklube for both(ATF and additive).

Find out exactly what brand/type of additive and ATF.

Underpaid quicklube workers talking out of their emissions port will appease most unknowledgeable consumers.

I was under the impression that iffylube used SOPUS fluids.

"Jiffy Lube International, Inc. (JLI), with more than 2,000 franchised service centers in North America, and Jiffy Lube® franchisees serve approximately 22 million customers each year. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, JLI is a wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Shell Oil Company. Jiffy Lube® service centers are 100% franchise-owned - independently owned and operated by more than 250 entity groups.

"Jiffy Lube® is the largest system of franchised service centers in North America and is consistently ranked as one of the top franchising opportunities for entrepreneurs:
"
http://www.jiffylube.com/about/historyandmission.aspx

Nothing there about ranking as one of the best places for car maintenance....
laugh.gif

Dexron-IV was a published spec that was never implemented. Instead GM updated the Dex-III spec up to the H suffix. Dex-VI was named to be something different from IV and not to be confused with MerconV.

I didn't see anything about Dex-VI in any of Lubegard's stuff. http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-110/Transmission

Keep in mind that the workers in the franchise shops get paid minimum or close to it plus a monthly bonus depending on what they sell. If they don't up-sell, they can't pay their bills. Rotten system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back