Detroit - Intrepid beauty turned to dust

I was in Detroit for work one time. At a stop light, the passenger in the car next to me open his door and dumps a bag of McDonalds onto the street. I looked at him, he looked at me, and seemed bothered lol.

Where i live there is an unbelievably ornate theater called the Keith Albee Theater. While I was City Fire Marshal it was a royal pain in my rear end but beautiful none the less....

I was in Detroit for work one time. At a stop light, the passenger in the car next to me open his door and dumps a bag of McDonalds onto the street. I looked at him, he looked at me, and seemed bothered lol.

I used to live in a townhouse community in Manassas Park, VA where the HOA had to hire someone to clean the parking lot up after slobs like that.

And now I live in Nokesville, VA where the same sorts of slobs empty their trash into the drainage ditches on the side of the road. This trash includes beer cans, which makes you wonder if they were drinking and driving.

Huge 1500 seat movie theater in Asbury Park N.J.
I saw the first Ali VS Frazier fight here.
Long gone.

1657306375148.png

Attachments

• 1657306403008.jpg
    1657306403008.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
At one time Detroit had one of the largest per capita incomes of any city in the US. That was due to the auto industry and related manufacturing jobs. Those jobs will likely not ever return. There is no reason for Detroit to become gentrified and turned into a series of nice neighborhoods with remodeled older homes, especially since the current population has destroyed much of those neighborhoods.

At one time Detroit had one of the largest per capita incomes of any city in the US. That was due to the auto industry and related manufacturing jobs. Those jobs will likely not ever return. There is no reason for Detroit to become gentrified and turned into a series of nice neighborhoods with remodeled older homes, especially since the current population has destroyed much of those neighborhoods.

No good jobs…. people leave and city turns into an eyesore.

what a lot of people are forgetting or don't know.. is that the main reason Detroit turned into a ghetto was the 1967 Riots. This was all races, the ones that could afford to get out after that did so quickly! My family was there during those riots, my relatives told me all about how it was. When the people escaped to the suburbs no one cared to go back. And so the poor people who couldn't afford to move got stuck there among the ruins, it's only lately that people who still live there have begun to clean up the mess.

My wife is from Warsaw, IN, about 3.5 hrs from Detroit.

When we were dating, a few years ago, we decided to drive up to Detroit and spend the day there.

We did a little exploring, walked around, had coffee at a really cool fully-automated coffee Roasting/brewing place called the Roasting Plant in downtown Detroit (we’re big coffee nerds) and had lunch at a wonderful Polish restaurant in Hamtramck called Polonia.
0A73DF32-FEA8-4352-925A-1C03D9E5E141.jpeg
813CD218-9089-4931-93B5-84D4D5C7B052.jpeg
5510B1C1-303F-4A8B-B671-39100B38E334.jpeg
51B583E0-1315-4ED4-8C10-E1B0639C0159.jpeg

From memory, that’s a pierogi, Polish sausage, dill pickle soup, and fresh homemade bread. The best kind of comfort food for a February day in Detroit!

Highly recommend both places!

Back