Determining value of a Colt .357

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very lightly used Colt King Cobra .357mag with 4" barrel. How would I determine it's value? I'm interested in selling it and maybe replacing it with a Glock for home defense. I need a lighter round for my wife to handle. I'm considering getting her a snub nose .38 and I'll have the Glock.

Satin stainless (nickel?) with the rubber grip or whatever, not wood. I also have the hard case it came with.

Last edited:
.38 special +p 125gn JHP work very well in SD.

My wifes self defense weapon of choice is a S&W 686 4" revolver (med frame "L" .357 mag) and shoots it well. I have it loaded with the .38 sp +P and she is well protected.

Can't beat a DA revolver IMO. If it does not go off, keep pulling the trigger. No FTF, FTE, Mag problems etc.

Take care, bill

PS: The link that is above is of a Nickle one. I'd say that one is 99% so value is going to be close to max.

That Colt loaded with buffaloebore's top of the line ammo would blow out a nice big chunk of an intruder! The King Cobra and the mighty Python can handle some serious beef fed through them.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
That Colt loaded with buffaloebore's top of the line ammo would blow out a nice big chunk of an intruder! The King Cobra and the mighty Python can handle some serious beef fed through them.

True Drew.

But, OP stated
Quote:
I need a lighter round for my wife to handle.

I doubt that the round your talking about would be a "lighter" one...
grin2.gif

Bill

That round sounds like it might split my wife's forehead. Maybe mine. :) I carried it as a sidearm for deer hunting. I don't hunt any more and need a lighter gun and lighter round for my wife. She is rather small. I hadn't checked yet but I was hoping they still made the +P .38 as it should have good stopping power without being too much recoil.

Also, any major round (fast, etc) is probably too much for residential when you have close neighbors. I don't want to sacrifice stopping power too much but don't want to go through 5 walls with three being my neighbors.
frown.gif

It's been a long, long time since handguns were my hobby. What is the difference (frame wise) between the Python and the King Cobra? Is it like the difference between a S&W K and N frames? Or more like the difference between the N and L frames? Or do they have the same frame?

I really don't know. Both look like heavy frames to me. This is a beefy gun. I'm a casual shooter and don't really know the differences.

Since it will be for home defense, .38 Special +P out of the .357 Mag King Cobra might just be the best combo for your wife. She'll benefit from the lighter round (less recoil), and the perceived recoil and muzzle flash will be less with the heavier revolver and longer barrel.

I'd buy a box of .38 S +P 125 grains and take her out shooting with the KC; she can probably handle it well.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pistols-41/11727-difference-between-colt-python-colt-king-cobra.html

Looks like they share the same frame.

I knew about the Python being essentially a hand-assembled piece. I figured the KC wasn't in the same league from that standpoint. I was wondering about the frames.

47HO: she has small hands and thin frame (my wife). The weight and size of the Colt is too much for her. Better to have a comfortable size and fit instead of something awkward to swing. JMO.

Now I just need to list is somewhere. I'll check out the link posted earlier to see if I can list myself. I know a guy with his FFL that will do the transfer for me.

If she can handle the weight of the Cobra, it will shoot much milder with 38spl+P than any actual 38. One of the most unpleasant revolvers I ever owned for shooting comfort was a Colt Detective Special with +P ammo!

Mr. G,

Cobra and Python are nearly identical in size and weight. Difference come from internal mechanisms. Cobra is very similar to a S&W or Ruger with a coil spring operating system (much more friendly to mass production). The Python is a flat V spring action just as Colt has built since the turn of the LAST century!This design requires hand-fitting by experienced craftsmen for acceptable fit and finish,which is what makes every Python such a work of art.

Bob

Why +P?
What about 125 grain 38 special loads? 1/2 jacket or hollow points?
If recoil and handling is a problem, these would be better, and still provide a strong deterrent to a criminal.

I figured +P for extra stopping power. I would really need to get her shooting with regular and +P to see if she has any fear of the stouter load. I haven't really had to deal with the idea of her being able to shoot but I've started traveling a lot with my job and with our two girls I want everyone to be safe.

Quote:
I haven't really had to deal with the idea of her being able to shoot but I've started traveling a lot with my job and with our two girls I want everyone to be safe.

If she is a novice shooter and will probably always be, stick with the revolver. Much more simple operation than an automatic and only a single place for the ammo to exist. Small framed females can often have a hard time operating the slide and loading the magazine on automatics as well. There is also an off hand thumb placement problem (don't wrap it around the back) with autos, particularly Glocks.

I think the gun you have will suit you just fine as the larger gun will tame recoil well. Standard or +P .38s are fine for what you are looking for IMHO.

I have a very lightly used Colt King Cobra .357mag with 4" barrel

Blued LNIB $550-$600 Stainless maybe a little more $600-$625.
Used but not abused $450-$525.

Little used $400 is too cheap it will go quick.

Better to always come down in price if you have to.

Pick her up a S&W M36 Chief and buy some Crimson Laser grips. She'll like that. She would have a hard time with the 36 sights without a little help.

I reload but if you buy off the shelve .38'S try the Winchester Silver Tip Hollow points. Nice zippy round.

I actually think an auto would be better, like a Smith M&P - something that's double action only with a loaded chamber indicator (although that should never be relied upon - one must always know the state of their firearms). Easier to shoot, easier to handle, quieter, lighter, packs as much wallop as a snubby revolver etc.

Or, you could go with an 8 inch Colt Anaconda; just the sight of that would probably scare a would be burgler off!
GAdoubles_052505A.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back