Detailed the car during vacation

Originally Posted by gregk24
You made that paint pop, looks great! Have you had any issues with your a/c?

No issues with the a/c. Haven't gone through the peak of a Florida summer with it yet though. Has been blowing cold so far.

Originally Posted by asiancivicmaniac
Thanks everyone!

Here's what I did :
- 2 bucket wash with Meguiar's Hyperwash
- foam cannon with Chemical Guys Honeydew wash - clayed with Mother's Speed clay
- iron decon with Meguiar's D2002 (would probably just get the Ultimate All Wheel cleaner in the future)
- polished (usually this would be the correction step but there wasn't any visible swirling) with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to smooth out the paint, remove old coating, and enhance gloss
- finishing polish with Meguiar's M205 to further enhance gloss
- ceramic coating with Optimum Gloss Coat - topped with Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating for a sacrificial barrier until the coating fully cures

NICE
Thanks for the details.

2 Questions --
1) Tell me about the speed clay - Is it the little plastic mouse-looking thing with pad ? I have one I just bought and curvy surfaces are less then ideal. Seems to work well on flat bigger areas though. Your thoughts?

2) What did you use as the surface lubricant ?

T Y

Originally Posted by bachman
Originally Posted by asiancivicmaniac
Thanks everyone!

Here's what I did :
- 2 bucket wash with Meguiar's Hyperwash
- foam cannon with Chemical Guys Honeydew wash - clayed with Mother's Speed clay
- iron decon with Meguiar's D2002 (would probably just get the Ultimate All Wheel cleaner in the future)
- polished (usually this would be the correction step but there wasn't any visible swirling) with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to smooth out the paint, remove old coating, and enhance gloss
- finishing polish with Meguiar's M205 to further enhance gloss
- ceramic coating with Optimum Gloss Coat - topped with Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating for a sacrificial barrier until the coating fully cures

NICE
Thanks for the details.

2 Questions --
1) Tell me about the speed clay - Is it the little plastic mouse-looking thing with pad ? I have one I just bought and curvy surfaces are less then ideal. Seems to work well on flat bigger areas though. Your thoughts?

2) What did you use as the surface lubricant ?

T Y

Speed Clay is definitely not as flexible as traditional clay, but I didn't have any problems with it. I do have to grip it pretty well.

As for lube, I find it easier to do the claying after the rinse and use a more concentrated wash solution in a spray bottle. I find it provides more lubricity than a quick detailer and it's inexpensive so you can use as much as you want. Then rinse the soap off when you are done claying and dry the car.

Thanks for the answers.

I'm doing both our cars with speed clay then some touching up with compound in areas, polish and wax. I've got some spray detailer and a turtle wax lubricant I forgot about. I see many use fresh soapy car wash water too so I guess the obvious is lubricant does just that and is't an item that softens bonded fallout before the clay.
I'm a bit into it now so the Iron decon will be for another time.

Last edited:
Back