desperately need help with a Toyota Camry used purchase 4/23/2021

Kelly BB is giving me a cash buy back value $ for my older car , I have 3 local dealers that will honor it even if I don't trade it in to their dealership.
I want a reliable long lasting Toyota I checked the Camry , and the Corolla , amazing ly no call backs on the Corolla engines and transmissions but is a smaller car , so Id go for the bigger Camry . but which used in years should I definitely stay away from because of the engine failures ,oil burring and CVT transmissions , can any one give me a stay away list ? I would appreciate it ?

Any with extra body 'graphics' elements on front end or rear end - extra fake ports, angles, mustaches, exaggerated grills, etc.
You will sicken of looking at them.

Your budget? We have no idea what years you are looking at. But here is a general idea on Camrys.

2012 - 2017 Toyota Camry (7th Generation) - 2.5L engines had some oil consumption issues, due to low tension piston rings. The 6-speed automatic also is known for failures before 150k mile mark. The 3.5L is a great powerful engine, that tends to shred transmissions to pieces.

2007 - 2011 Toyota Camry (6th Generation) 2.4L is an oil burner, much worse than the newer 2.5L. 2.4L can burn more than 1qt per 1000 miles easily, but as long as you top it off - it will run forever, but kill catalytic converters. The 3.5L is a great powerful engine, that tends to shred transmissions to pieces, again.

2002 - 2006 Toyota Camry (5th Generation) The best generation of Camrys in my opinion. The 2.4L had issues with failing head gaskets due to stretching head bolts. The 3.0L and 3.3L are bulletproof, and so are transmissions if you do a drain and fill every 30k miles.

P.S. Prius V is a great car. 50MPG. So is Prius C, if spacious interior isn't absolutely needed, and I got up to 77MPG on a long trip on one of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
I had a 2012 Toyota Camry with the 4-cylinder. Excellent car. Only issue was the torque converter had to be replaced, but that was done under Toyota's extended warranty on that specific part (up to 86K; I got mine in at 85K; this is now expired). I think later years had that issue resolved. It did not burn oil, but I also changed it every 5K. I used Walmart's sythetic 0W20 oil. I installed General's RT43 tires on it and could not stand the noise from them on highways, though. Lived with it because they handled/gripped so well. I regret selling that car, honestly.

Any with extra body 'graphics' elements on front end or rear end - extra fake ports, angles, mustaches, exaggerated grills, etc.
You will sicken of looking at them.
C'mon man....this is HAWT.

Corolla.JPG

I'd skip any that has the 2AZ-FE 2.4L engine. Known for either pulling headbolts or burning oil. Not all of them, so if it's a good deal I wouldn't turn one down, but I certainly would not pay top dollar.

The 2.5L seems like a good motor though. Anything can be abused and turned into an oil burner, but the 2.5 seems decent in this regard. I think that is 2011 on, while the problematic 2.4 is 2002-2010.

Not sure about the 3.5, it is likely robust also but it will cost more to buy, and possibly maintain, and likely get lower mpg.

Please shed some knowledge on me, as thousands of Camry and Avalon owners must be lying.
The Aisin AWTF series 6-speed automatic transmissions have been used in tens of millions of vehicles over a long time span by virtually all of the auto manufacturers around the world in many vehicles far heavier than the Camry. They can and do fail, but their extremely low failure rate makes them as close to the most reliable transverse engine automatic transmission as has ever been produced by anybody. When you have so many of them out there, you are bound to find some people on the Internet complaining about failures, but they do NOT "shred" to any appreciable or statistically relevant extent like you claim.

Didn't these 6AT's have some complaints initially, mostly fixed by programming? I don't remember now, but I do recall some early issues.

Didn't these 6AT's have some complaints initially, mostly fixed by programming? I don't remember now, but I do recall some early issues.
Very early-on there was a computer programming problem that caused a hesitation upon acceleration (downshift lag) after decelerating to a slow speed (like turning a corner). Toyota issued a TSB and did a firmware update which fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually received the check in hand from a dealer offer equal to KBB, without trading in? I mean they are known for talking to get you in the office.

What's interesting is no mentions about the 2007 -2009 a google says stay away from these years, now I'm all mixed up as far as buying a early model so buy the looks of things most years after that were pretty darn good were good especially the 4 cylinders, I can deal with oil changes and even transmission drains if it has a drain plug ? I just don't want to have an engine or transmission fail before 150,000 this is what I'm looking for in a used model longevity and reliability.

Has anyone actually received the check in hand from a dealer offer equal to KBB, without trading in? I mean they are known for talking to get you in the office.
Yes on the mustang forums people are selling left and right. Getting insane cash for used cars. Carmax, vroom, carvana are all offering way over normal trade in prices for used cars. This bubble is going to last most of the year.

What's interesting is no mentions about the 2007 -2009 a google says stay away from these years, now I'm all mixed up as far as buying a early model so buy the looks of things most years after that were pretty darn good were good especially the 4 cylinders, I can deal with oil changes and even transmission drains if it has a drain plug ? I just don't want to have an engine or transmission fail before 150,000 this is what I'm looking for in a used model longevity and reliability.
THE most important things to consider when purchasing an older/lower priced/higher mile vehicle are it's condition, maintenance history, and how it was driven. Neglect and/or abuse can kill ANY vehicle, regardless of who manufactured it. IMO (from personal experience), purchasing a Toyota (of any description) limits the risk of many/most of the manufacturer related quality issues.

Last edited:
I have a '12 Camry LE with the 2.5 that's coming up on 80k (I bought it 3 years ago with 30k) that's been very solid; I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. My Camry easily pulls down 35mpg on the highway, and has plenty of power - no reason to go with the V6, although that does produce fantastic power. Its only repair so far has been rear brake pads/lube after a stuck slide pin sort of jammed the rear caliper (due to road salt), but I did replace the 8-year-old factory battery for peace of mind. It's a comfortable highway car that has lots of space, tons of storage, decent seats, and is pretty feature-dense (even my LE came with a touchscreen radio, stitched dash, power drivers seat, USB/aux/Bluetooth, etc. in addition to all the keyless/power features that you'd expect, so it feels decently upscale and modern). I added a backup cam (standard on later years) and an auto-dimming mirror with compass; both were pretty easy projects.

We have a mechanically-similar '10 Sienna with the 3.5 that's at about 220k, and has been amazing to own - pretty much just tires/brakes/batteries, plus a VVT repair that cost ~$400-$500, as I remember. It still has its original ATF, brake fluid, coolant, and all original suspension parts. Basically just brakes and tires and air filters, one or two light bulbs, a refrigerant top-off a few years back and a radio under warranty for a jammed cd, plus oil changes every ~7500. It still feels almost as good at 200k as it did at 100k. It's been incredibly cheap to own and still pulls 24+ mpg down on the highway, same as new.

Back