Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've faced some pretty dark days myself where I seriously considered the rope or the gun. I came close, but never went over the edge.

What helped me then and continues to help me now is my faith in my Lord and Savior Jesus [censored].

For me, it works like this - start a faith relationship with Jesus [censored]. Get into the Bible. Read, grow, listen, ponder, mediate.

Find a good Church with good people. I'm not talking about "Sunday only" Christians. I'm talking about people who truly believe and who have had their life changed by what they have read and experienced. As Paul says in Romans, "don't let the world squeeze you into it's own mold, but let God remold your life from within" (J.B. Phillips translation).

Build bonds within that community. They will be your best support group. They will listen to you, be patient with you, love you, guide you, encourage you, support you though the tough times.

A Church like that which has truly been touched by the word will have an outreach program. Get involved. Help others. It might be a community Food Pantry, a clothing bank, a homeless shelter, an after school program for kids - if they truly believe what they have read in the Bible, they will have something to help others. Get involved and stay involved.

Yes, it's work and sometimes the people you help will not be thankful. But do it anyway, because in the long run, you're not doing it for them, you're doing it for you.

It's worked wonders in my life, and I can truly say I am a happy man today who has been richly blessed in many and various ways.

I will say a prayer for your friend.

And from someone who has been there, thank you for being his friend.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Is there alcohol or drugs involved?

Hopefully not if he is taking a benzo. The two do NOT mix.

Nope, none

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Just found out a buddy is pretty depressed and not able to function.
I remember nearly 10 years back I was bit depressed after my dad had passed. I took me a few months to get back to normal. It helped me to talk to friends/family and take a vac to instill a small change in life.
No meds though for me.

So, what helped you or someone you know with depression? Meds? Tea? Extracts? Chocolate?
Please share your experience.

I want to help my buddy.

Why is he depressed ?

Personal, financial, relationship, marriage, work related problems, etc ...????

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I remember nearly 10 years back I was bit depressed after my dad had passed. I took me a few months to get back to normal. It helped me to talk to friends/family and take a vac to instill a small change in life.
No meds though for me.

So, what helped you or someone you know with depression? Meds? Tea? Extracts? Chocolate?

I want to help my buddy.

Why is he depressed ?

Personal, financial, relationship, marriage, work related problems, etc ...????

That is it, he does not know, he went to his uncle's funeral and that seemed to have triggered it.

It's astounding to me how many people can't deal with life.

I don't mean real, clinical, bipolar, chemical imbalance depression, but those who experience some of life's challenges and curl up in a ball, or turn to some sort of drug.

Unless there's a medical reason for your friends' depression, he needs to pull himself up by his bootstraps, quit moping around, and get on with life. When it comes to that sort of depression you'll find me lacking in compassion. Wallowing in a cesspool of self pity is fear based and nothing more than the domain of the weak.

Your friend needs to step up-life is good if you believe in yourself. Don't regret the past, don't fear the future and you can master your own destiny. Sure, he lost a family member and we can all sympathize with that. But it's life, and it's going to happen to all of us. How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life. Accept the fact that they're gone, pick up the pieces and move forward. Life goes on.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Why does everybody think man was made to feel good all the time?

Because it's possible. I always feel fantastic; I wake up every morning ready to take on the day's challenges and I refuse to let anything get me down. But then I've always been the master of my own destiny and I've never let anyone or anything stop me. My wife is exactly the same-I've never known her to be "down". Ever.

No meds though for me.

I want to help my buddy.

maybe he just needs to cry it out? Nothing wrong with that.

Then get mind off somehow and move on. Whatever is the problem may come back to haunt now and again, but he needs to get his mind off.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
No meds though for me.

I want to help my buddy.

maybe he just needs to cry it out? Nothing wrong with that.

Then get mind off somehow and move on. Whatever is the problem may come back to haunt now and again, but he needs to get his mind off.

That is just the problem, he is not the crying type, he is one of those strong army man, the patriarch of the family.
I think stuff just built up and the funeral was the trigger.
Men like him need to cry or something to vent more often and not hold it in.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
I've faced some pretty dark days myself where I seriously considered the rope or the gun. I came close, but never went over the edge.

What helped me then and continues to help me now is my faith in my Lord and Savior Jesus [censored].

For me, it works like this - start a faith relationship with Jesus [censored]. Get into the Bible. Read, grow, listen, ponder, mediate.

Find a good Church with good people. I'm not talking about "Sunday only" Christians. I'm talking about people who truly believe and who have had their life changed by what they have read and experienced. As Paul says in Romans, "don't let the world squeeze you into it's own mold, but let God remold your life from within" (J.B. Phillips translation).

Build bonds within that community. They will be your best support group. They will listen to you, be patient with you, love you, guide you, encourage you, support you though the tough times.

A Church like that which has truly been touched by the word will have an outreach program. Get involved. Help others. It might be a community Food Pantry, a clothing bank, a homeless shelter, an after school program for kids - if they truly believe what they have read in the Bible, they will have something to help others. Get involved and stay involved.

Yes, it's work and sometimes the people you help will not be thankful. But do it anyway, because in the long run, you're not doing it for them, you're doing it for you.

It's worked wonders in my life, and I can truly say I am a happy man today who has been richly blessed in many and various ways.

I will say a prayer for your friend.

And from someone who has been there, thank you for being his friend.

Gree, Thanks,
I work in the healthcare field and I know what the docs will do,
basically it will be
"take these 2 pills every and call me next week", they will just get rid of him, they do not care.

Quote:
Gree, Thanks,
I work in the healthcare field and I know what the docs will do,
basically it will be
"take these 2 pills every and call me next week", they will just get rid of him, they do not care.

Unfortunately they also do that to young kids. Solution to all your problems are in bottles of prescription meds. NOT. Maybe he can try fish oil.

Google fish oil and depression.

Life will always have Ups and Downs, when you step back from the situation and take a good look at the problem(s).... nothing you could have done to prevent the inevitable. I agree with JHZR2.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
There is a big difference between feeling depressed and suffering from depression. Depression is the manifestation of a serious mental disorder, it is nothing at all like having a bad day or not feeling well.

I don't believe that there is one single approach to treating those suffering from depression, because the causes can be manifold, varying from psychological to physical, including both. I also believe that a sad outcome is not always avoidable.

hotwheels

Beautifully said. Thank you.

My family is currently living through the sad outcome. We recently lost a 24yr old family member due to bipolar disorder. He (and my family) struggled with it for many years. The swings were horrendous. He'd have bouts of hypomania and on the other end of the spectrum super deep depression. Good looking, hard working kid. Super active. Tons of friends, always had a beautiful girlfriend and he left a little boy behind.

He sometimes struggled with his meds because of the way it made him feel. I almost blame the meds at times. Dunno for sure.

I come to terms with it by believing he's at peace now.

JTK, My prayers for your family.

There is nothing worse, then going through [censored] of depression. You wake up each day, not knowing if you will make it
'till night, or you will simply give in, and end it all yourself. The drugs sometimes help, and sometimes make it worse.
Felt like I had no control whatsoever over my own life. It took me a while, but I managed to teach myself how to push trough the day, and keep on fighting.
In the end, it all comes down to helping yourself get up and fight, because without that no one can truly help you, no matter how much they would want to.
To conclude, help yourself, so you could go out into the world, and start truly living, and that will be a cure on it's own.
I recommend James Gordon’s system at http://lookingupstuff.com/mentalhealth/2015/02/06/how-to-destroy-depression/
He is a former depression sufferer, and teaches a totally natural 7 step process which relieves depression from your life.

JTK, My prayers for your family.

Thank you! We're learning to come to peace with it. It's one of those things you don't get over, you learn to live with it.

My point in interjecting was, hopefully the OP's buddy gets some real professional help and that help works.

The help, love, resources, etc, given to my nephew were insurmountable, yet it still ended badly.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I don't mean real, clinical, bipolar, chemical imbalance depression, but those who experience some of life's challenges and curl up in a ball, or turn to some sort of drug.

Unless there's a medical reason for your friends' depression, he needs to pull himself up by his bootstraps,

Therein lies the problem. Unless you are a licensed Phychiarist you won't be able to know. Those of us who have gone through it know you can't "pick yourself by your bootstraps", Which by the way is impossible. if your seratonin receptors are screwed up its like trying to tie your shoes with one hand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Unless there's a medical reason for your friends' depression, he needs to pull himself up by his bootstraps,

Therein lies the problem. Unless you are a licensed Phychiarist you won't be able to know. Those of us who have gone through it know you can't "pick yourself by your bootstraps", Which by the way is impossible. if your seratonin receptors are screwed up its like trying to tie your shoes with one hand.

yeap, a person who is depressed will not know that he/she is. same goes for OCD, bipolar, anxiety...

My wife suffered from Major Depressive Disorder Recurrent (with treatment) for 17 yrs since 1995. Would have been longer but she took her life in 2012.

Depression is real.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
My wife suffered from Major Depressive Disorder Recurrent (with treatment) for 17 yrs since 1995. Would have been longer but she took her life in 2012.

Depression is real.

Wow...sorry I didn't know that..Sorry for you. I think this one post says more than all of the others.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back