Deposit formation of dino vs. PAO vs. POE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revisited a GF-5 CRODA slideshow and this slide jumped out at me. Any comments or thoughts?

depositscopy.jpg

Slideshow was posted earlier in another thread and can be viewed here:

http://www.crodalubricants.com/download.aspx?s=133&m=doc&id=258

Yea, Polyol ester kicked [censored] and took names.
21.gif

No great surprise there though.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Yea, Polyol ester kicked [censored] and took names.
21.gif

No great surprise there though.

Do you know of any motor oils that use this ester?

RedLine's use of polyol ester base stocks is their #1 selling point

I actually have a polyolester shirt. Looks great and the chicks love it.

Just playing the Devil's advocate here... But does your average engine need this protection? Will they ever see 275 degree heat?

It is good to see the differences though...
thumbsup2.gif

POE has other benefits besides high temp deposit control though. Like film strength and polarity.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Just playing the Devil's advocate here... But does your average engine need this protection? Will they ever see 275 degree heat?

It is good to see the differences though...
thumbsup2.gif

No, but if cost was no obstacle, an optimized POE based oil would probably be superior to anything on the market. It would be pricey. I guess Redline is about as close to that as you would find.

I know VW says in their patent that the intake valves reach 380 degrees C on the 2.0FSI if run for 20 minutes at 3000 rpm at full load? (found by zappergli on vwvortex).

380c.jpg

This video shows the exhaust side of a turbocharger reaches 1600F/ 900 celcius (Yowza!) (posted by someone on BITOG earlier but I can't remember who) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7jVYTmql2Y&feature=related

So I would guess at least the oil reaching the turbo would be that hot but I dunno about other places.

Last edited:
Are these formulated lubricants, or just base oils being dumped on the plate? I have seen this pic before, and the POA lube suprised me.

I have seen tons of engines torn a part for rebuilding/ head gaskets etc. that have run nothing but Bulk-Dino and cheap filters for many hundreds of thousands of miles and they are clean as a whistle inside most of the time, and when not, all they have are heavy varnish in them. These cars all pass emission tests and perform well so I don't see the need for this protection or added cost in today's average engines especially with today's great SM/GF-4 rated oils.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: saaber1

I know VW says in their patent that the intake valves reach 380 degrees C on the 2.0FSI if run for 20 minutes at 3000 rpm at full load? (found by zappergli on vwvortex).

380c.jpg

This video shows the exhaust side of a turbocharger reaches 1600F/ 900 celcius (Yowza!) (posted by someone on BITOG earlier but I can't remember who) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7jVYTmql2Y&feature=related

So I would guess at least the oil reaching the turbo would be that hot but I dunno about other places.

The oil does not come close to touching any areas that hot. It feeds the center section which even though I've had my turbine side glowing bright orange, the center section has never glowed. It's also got the compressor on the other side to help it out. It's when the engine is shut down and the oil and air stop flowing that the heat migrates into the center section that you have problems. Not to mention many newer setups use water cooled centers.

Just good enough isn't good enough for some people.

When are you going to dump the Amsoil out of your car?

Originally Posted By: pzev
Are these formulated lubricants, or just base oils being dumped on the plate? I have seen this pic before, and the POA lube suprised me.

Good question. The description says "lubricant", but I find it hard to imagine they found five lubricants that each used a different base stock exclusively.

Just good enough isn't good enough for some people.

When are you going to dump the Amsoil out of your car?

I'm running this until next month when I hit the 15K KM I'm running this fill for, then I will be refilling with Amsoil as we will be almost into September by then and the cool temps at night will be here.

So my short answer is Next Summer I will be running the VWB that I got on sale at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back