Denver and Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple is looking for another campus site as well. Estimated around 6000 jobs for that campus.

There does seem to be a trend in jobs coming back to the USA. Not trying to be political here, just stating the obvious from all the news.

Denver should be very happy to get Amazon.

Not sure Denver has the pool of people needed to work at Amazon. Amazon puts huge duress on its employees, Denver's recreational substance association conflicts with people being pushed to their limits day in and day out.

I see Austin, Nashville, and Raleigh as the frontrunners.

I live in the ex-urbs in Atlanta and there is no way in God's green Earth that Amazon should move out here unless they're willing to go way off the beaten path... like Tallapoosa.

Raleigh, if you get closer to the Carrboro area south of Chapel Hill would be a great fit. Between Duke, NC State, UNC Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest, they would have an incredibly strong nucleus of young talent and real estate isn't so bad if you locate ten miles away from the center of that activity.

Austin and Nashville may be even better but I'll leave it for the folks out here to comment.

Originally Posted By: GON
Not sure Denver has the pool of people needed to work at Amazon. Amazon puts huge duress on its employees, Denver's recreational substance association conflicts with people being pushed to their limits day in and day out.

This looks like the ramblings of someone who hasn’t visited, but reads lots of things on the internet. I worked with Lockheed Martin for a short time in Colorado, and I haven’t been on a more dedicated team since. What I found most impressive was the high level of education and physical fitness of the people that I encountered during my free time.

Have a Daughter, Son in law, and Grand Child in Arvada.

Bring in gambling, recreational drugs, etc, big companies slowly migrate away. My brother in law has worked at the same facility of Northrup Grumman in the NW burbs of Chicago as a EE for over 25 years. Northrup has a very good team in Chicago, but Northrop is not opening any more facilities ever in Chicago.

Just a matter of time before Denver becomes the Chicago, Baltimore, etc of the West. May be a generation or two, but it will happen. Gambling and recreation drugs are a huge long term turn off to big businesses.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

This looks like the ramblings of someone who hasn’t visited, but reads lots of things on the internet. I worked with Lockheed Martin for a short time in Colorado, and I haven’t been on a more dedicated team since. What I found most impressive was the high level of education and physical fitness of the people that I encountered during my free time.

GON is not referring to highly paid & educated engineers like at Lockheed-Martin.
There is a growing more youthful, "math-&-science-challenged" population in Denver that would be Amazon's low-paid labor pool. Many do drugs, and that trend is getting stronger.

Have a Daughter, Son in law, and Grand Child in Arvada.

Bring in gambling, recreational drugs, etc, big companies slowly migrate away. My brother in law has worked at the same facility of Northrup Grumman in the NW burbs of Chicago as a EE for over 25 years. Northrup has a very good team in Chicago, but Northrop is not opening any more facilities ever in Chicago.

Just a matter of time before Denver becomes the Chicago, Baltimore, etc of the West. May be a generation or two, but it will happen. Gambling and recreation drugs are a huge long term turn off to big businesses.

Illinois has very limited gambling and no legal recreational drug use. Your statements are unsupported by the data you presented.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

GON is not referring to highly paid & educated engineers like at Lockheed-Martin.
There is a growing more youthful, "math-&-science-challenged" population in Denver that would be Amazon's low-paid labor pool. Many do drugs, and that trend is getting stronger.

Bandito May be absolutely correct in his observations but the marijuana issue is recent history and likely did not play a part in workers drug use. That industry is also very strict on drug use.

I see it more and more in the Sea-Tac area. It is not only workers but drivers and people I casually meet in public places. They seem “elsewhere “ so to speak and their attention span is nilch.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

This investment is not for a distribution center. It’s for a second headquarters with just the sort skilled and educated people that I encountered.

"Illinois has very limited gambling "

You may want to do some research on this. Illinois now has legal gambling on nearly ever corner, very said to see so many store fronts now dedicated to compulsive gamblers.

This investment is not for a distribution center. It’s for a second headquarters with just the sort skilled and educated employees that I met.
That's right, I forgot about the recent news where Amazon already put in a distribution center near the big airport (DIA), located nicely in the center of the country for flights in and out. So this new 2nd headquarters does sound like educated business and tech people who are less likely to be dedicated stoners & alcoholics.

"Illinois has very limited gambling "

You may want to do some research on this. Illinois now has legal gambling on nearly ever corner, very said to see so many store fronts now dedicated to compulsive gamblers.

I’ll be happy to do so, but I can only recall seeing some very limited opportunities with video machines. We might visit different neighborhoods though.

While I’m doing that, please share your data that shows how an increase in video gaming machines in Chicago caused Northrop Grumman to expand elsewhere, and how this pertains to your statement that Amazon won’t find quality employees for their new headquarters in Denver because of legalization.

I know of now place on earth where legalized recreational drugs and/ or legalized gambling has been attractive to businesses wanting to move their HQs and/ or major R&D to. I think quite the opposite.

I want to be a long term landowner and or taxpayer in a area with legalized recreational drugs and or/ legalized gambling. Your mileage may very.

Last edited:
I know of now place on earth where legalized recreational drugs and/ or legalized gambling has been attractive to businesses wanting to move their HQs and/ or major R&D to. I think quite the opposite.

I want to be a long term landowner and or taxpayer in a area with legalized recreational drugs and or/ legalized gambling. Your mileage may very.

All feelings and no data. Got it.

I have a feeling that Amazon’s just looking for the best combination of human capital, infrastructure, and business climate, but that’s just my opinion. You may be right though. They may be obsessed with a minor detail like legalization that trumps all other concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back