Denver and Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that it will be placed in the RDU area. My hope is that wherever it goes they move a large number of their employees out of Seattle. My recommendation to those of you in the finalist cities is be careful what you wish for.

I’m expecting Raleigh as well. That area’s booming, and most of my friends from back home (rust belt) have picked up tech and finance careers around there.

The funny part is everyone is excited about getting Amazon.

Glad Detroit is not. There is other things/places/industries that would also grow well in a city. I like my city a little bit more on the independent side. Just the crazy traffic/population issues a huge company like Amazon would cause simply would not be worth the headache it would bring....

Toronto is on the short list.
An analyst said on the news this evening that Amazon could save ~$1.5B/yr in wages in Canada.
Sounds intriguing .....
35.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
HQ2 will be for college grads not a warehouse distribution center.

What if you graduated college 20 years ago? Age discrimination is alive and real in America.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

What if you graduated college 20 years ago? Age discrimination is alive and real in America.

He didn't say recent college grads, HQ2 is going to require an educated and talented workforce.

Boston ticks a lot of boxes in terms of a great supply of talent and recent grads from top tier schools. Amazon and Facebook, Google are already here because talent is great.

Boston is an extremely educated city and possibly most in US for young adults.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Glad Detroit is not. There is other things/places/industries that would also grow well in a city. I like my city a little bit more on the independent side. Just the crazy traffic/population issues a huge company like Amazon would cause simply would not be worth the headache it would bring....

The education level of city is relatively low so not attractive for talent.

Austin and Denver are definitely in the top 5.

Apple has really been expanding in Austin.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

The education level of city is relatively low so not attractive for talent.

But the subs around it are much better....and the D is getting better in that area as I speak...

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: GON
Denver's recreational substance association

Not sure what that means, can you spell it out?

Especially since Amazon is a Washington state company, another state with legalized recreation marijuana.
crazy.gif

The real title of the post should be that Amazon narrowed their potential sites down to 20 cities, not just Denver.

On top of that, Amazon already knows where they are going - this is just the racket to extort whatever they can out of the place they really want to be located.

Amazon having distribution centers in Denver means nothing - they are building more and more distribution centers near every major metropolitan area...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Especially since Amazon is a Washington state company, another state with legalized recreation marijuana.
crazy.gif

Oh I see. I walked by a couple of kids smoking that stuff in front of the grocery store the other day. Sure as heck smells better than cigarettes. Usually I have to hold a handkerchief over my nose when walking past the cigarette smokers.

Might be a Pyrrhic victory for the "winning" region. Or, "be careful what you wish for, you might get it."

It would be much better to have 50 1,000 employee businesses be attracted to your area than one 50,000 employee business. Successful, well run local economies attract the former, grandstanding politicians attract the latter.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

He didn't say recent college grads, HQ2 is going to require an educated and talented workforce.

Yeah. I meant white collar folks with the skills needed for HQ2.

Amazon is going to demand huge tax breaks as well as expensive infrastructure improvements from the list of 20 and politicians are going to promise them the moon, the rest of the solar system, and maybe the entire galaxy. Could end up being a bad deal for folks who are already established in the winning area, but it might well end up being a nicer place to live in the end (except for higher resident taxes and traffic).

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I hope Raleigh does not get it. We already have low unemployment and plenty of traffic. Nothing positive could come from it.

It will also make housing unaffordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back