Dent In Transmission Filter. Would You Use This?

I'm trying to get a transmission filter for an 08 Rav4. This is the 3rd one the Toyota dealer has sent me. The first two had pretty large dents. This one has a smaller dent that looks like something cut through the plastic and dented the metal where it hit it. You can feel it with your fingernail, but it doesn't cut all the way through. Would you run this?

I'm just not keen on risking a transmission if this does cause an issue. However, it's also starting to seem like it's impossible to get one that isn't damaged due to the poor packaging during shipping to the dealer. Anyone else had any like this before?

wmhUsC9.jpg

pnBffFp.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to see it clearly, but given there is only flowing pressure and not "closed" pressure on it, I think it would be fine to use. A small dent like that will not impede the filtering in any way and I think it would be highly improbable (perhaps impossible) for that dent to manifest into anything serious.

I'd use it. I wouldn't be happy especially for one bought from an official dealer, but it doesn't seem like it'll cause a problem. The factory filter for my Rav4 was a fine mesh filter, what about this one? The aftermarket one I replaced it with was a felt-like media filter. No difference when driving, according to my butt, that I can feel.

I would go to a Napa or any other auto parts store in your area and get a trans filter, and before you pay check the trans filter out!

I'd use it. I wouldn't be happy especially for one bought from an official dealer, but it doesn't seem like it'll cause a problem. The factory filter for my Rav4 was a fine mesh filter, what about this one? The aftermarket one I replaced it with was a felt-like media filter. No difference when driving, according to my butt, that I can feel.
This one is also a fine mesh filter.

I was also debating the aftermarket filters. I wasn't sure how they'd be for these. It seems like I'd just have to change them for often.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I ended up calling the dealer and am returning this one. I guess we'll try again. If not, I may try an aftermarket one next as I need to get this thing back on the road.

My guess. It may have been dented when the worker threw it in the bin. The bin then goes to the packing department to be wrapped and boxed but most are carted off to the transmission factory.

Back