denso oil filter on jeep jk??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I looked at denso's website and they dont make a filter for the jk. Does anyone know of a denso that would cross referance and work on the jk, or a filter that would work thats of similar design? I just really like the denso design.

the filter that the jk takes is a well used toyota filter so it should not be a problem. but i don't have the part numbers. but the jk fram part # is ph3614.

Originally Posted By: ryland
So I looked at denso's website and they dont make a filter for the jk. Does anyone know of a denso that would cross referance and work on the jk, or a filter that would work thats of similar design? I just really like the denso design.

Why bother? Wix and Purolator both make superb products that will fit the Chrysler 3800, including having the correct bypass pressure and ADB valve configurations. The PureOne line has every single "feature" that Denso brags about, except the "torque stopper" which is nothing more than idiot-proofing.

almost every filter I've used including wix gives me start up noise because of the ADBV or just because jeeps design and the way it surges on start up is so stupid. I love the "idiot proof gasket" I guess I'm an idiot! I just really think its the best design on the market but thats just me. Also thank you mike for the fram number I was able to look it up with that number. Dont know why they dont just add the jk to the database?

For anyone that wants to know the two they list is:

150-1002
150-1003

Last edited:
almost every filter I've used including wix gives me start up noise because of the ADBV or just because jeeps design and the way it surges on start up is so stupid.

If your engine "surges" on startup, somethings broken. Fix it.

If you mean that it initially idles at a higher RPM (1500 or so) and then gradually drops to idle over a few seconds, that's GOOD for lubrication because it builds a hydro wedge with the oil film remaining on metal parts until the oil pressure builds enough to maintain the oil in a hydrodynamic regime at lower RPM. Almost all modern engine management systems do that.

I realize that but it is a common problem with all jk's to have horrible start up noise. Some think its an ADBV problem and some think its a design problem with how abruptly it starts. I really dont know but I do know that it always does it if it sits all day in the sun and then I go to start it.

To be honest though even if it dident have this problem I would still like to use a denso because of the design. It makes it so easy with the gasket and its just a well designed well built filter. I really think that the basic gasket on a wix is inferior to the design of the denso. Just a personal preferance.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
almost every filter I've used including wix gives me start up noise because of the ADBV or just because jeeps design and the way it surges on start up is so stupid.

If you mean that it initially idles at a higher RPM (1500 or so) and then gradually drops to idle over a few seconds,

the technical term is "start up flare"

ryland i have a 3.3L (which is a de-bored and de-stroked 3.8l)
my best attempt on eliminating the start up noise, is the motorcraft filter FL1A. but if i were you i would experiment at every oil change with different filters since i don't know if their is enough room for the FL1A in a jk.
if it makes you feel better their are alot of 3.3L/3.8L's in the 400,000 mile to 500,000 mile range, which tells me the cold start noise is just that, noise (with no ill effects).

Originally Posted By: caravanmike

the technical term is "start up flare"

ryland i have a 3.3L (which is a de-bored and de-stroked 3.8l)
my best attempt on eliminating the start up noise, is the motorcraft filter FL1A. but if i were you i would experiment at every oil change with different filters since i don't know if their is enough room for the FL1A in a jk.
if it makes you feel better their are alot of 3.3L/3.8L's in the 400,000 mile to 500,000 mile range, which tells me the cold start noise is just that, noise (with no ill effects).

I imagine the noise is just clearances between the lifter, pushrod, rockers, and valve due to the lifters leaking down a little bit. Its louder on pushrod engines because the pushrods "clink" into their sockets on the lifter and rocker and make more noise than just the sound of roller-followers on an OHC engine with hydraulic lash adjusters (like my former 3.5 and current 2.4). If its happening just after sitting during the day, I'm not sure its really an ADBV thing. Lifters that wind up with some spring pressure on them when the engine stops (not all 12 can land with the valves fully closed) are just prone to leak down a little- no way around that. I've had superb luck with the ADBV on Purolator PureOne filters, probably a bit better than what I've seen on Wix in recent years.

My wife's PT cruiser takes a little filter smaller than my coffee mug. I verified that the baseplate is compatible with a full-size filter (FL1A, PL3001, etc.) but there's no way the bigger filter will clear a curve in the lower rail of the block. I need to buy a "shorty" version (the only number I ever remember for it is AC PF-20) and see if that will work- even a shorty is bigger overall than the tiny little OEM filter. At least it takes a full 5-quart fill, even with the tiny filter.

Yes, it should work. The "old" filter that fits these engines is the PH16 size. Beginning in 2007, the "new" filter that fits these engines is the PH3614 size. Not sure why the change, but the gasket size and thread size are the same, and they're completely interchangeable.

I'd use the FL-1A size on my Dakota also (also takes the PH16 size), but there is no vertical filter adapter as our van has (with the 3.8L). The filter mounts 45 degrees off vertical, against the side of the engine block. Thusly, the FL-1A is too long to fit because there's no frame rail clearance (the lower control arm mount is right there). I'm using the ProLine PPL-30001 on it (the FL-1A equivalent), but that's because ProLine filters are actually about an inch shorter than "spec", and that one actually DOES fit.
wink.gif

Does the filter on a JK 3.8L have a vertical filter mount adapter? If so, just about anything should fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back