Denso fuel pumps for GM applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Denso fuel pumps in GM applications. In a general sense, are they a better option than OE?

I have an issue with the check valve, and will be replacing the pump assembly soon. It appears the OE part (# 19153374) is made in USA, but that could be NOS. With the high failure rate of fuel pumps in this application, I'm looking into Denso (# 9533052) as well.

Well, I know that for myself, I would use DENSO in my Toyota/Lexus applications. BUT...

Is this your first fuel pump replacement for this vehicle? Is it the Envoy in your signature?

If it's the first replacement, stay with the AC Delco
If not, try the Denso!

Is there much difference on price between the two?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Denso fuel pumps in GM applications. In a general sense, are they a better option than OE?

I have an issue with the check valve, and will be replacing the pump assembly soon. It appears the OE part (# 19153374) is made in USA, but that could be NOS. With the high failure rate of fuel pumps in this application, I'm looking into Denso (# 9533052) as well.

If the OE has a known high failure rate then sure its time to look for a high quality alternative.
Denso is very good, i would use it without a second thought. Many times the high end aftermarket addresses the original issues and corrects them.

Denso is OE on many Japanese cars. I have seen them go 300,000 miles plus on Japanese cars. If your Envoy is a V8, I would lean toward Denso. GM fuel pumps feeding V8 engines do fail more quickly than other fuel pumps.

For GM applications, we sell both Delphi & Carter. Both update pumps to fix OEM issues as they come up. If the installation is done properly, we don't take back either pump. Carter admits that they had issues with their pump design years ago but redesigned them about 5-8 years ago-our return rate is the same for both. On GM, clean & inspect tank, replace fuel filter if serviceable, check/update wiring, and replace fuel pump relay with every job. If you do that, no come backs. When we take them back, it is always the same garages that just swap pumps and don't do a complete job. Stay away from Airtex. Napa tried them in the SW region and it was a disaster.

Dave

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If the OE has a high failure rate, I would also go with an aftermarket. Probably not Denso though.

Any particular reason? Has something happened in the last few months we should know about?

I have installed them in many cars and trucks and never had a problem. The pump in my fuel injection machine is a Denso and it has run 12 hrs a day for 6 years and shows no sign of being tired.

http://densoautoparts.com/fuel-pumps

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

If it's the first replacement, stay with the AC Delco

Does AC Delco have any manufacturing plants left? In this application, are they an actual manufacturer or just another relabeler?

Thanks for all the input. This is the first time I'm replacing the pump, but it looks like I'll be going with the Denso. Will be interesting to see what the country of origin will be on that unit.

The OE unit is made by Bosch, so it just has an ACDelco label on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back