Denmark introduces fat tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
First thought when I saw topic name. "They going to tax fat people? Good motivation to work out!They should also do it in US" LOL. I guess it is time to sleep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crinkles
over my dead body!

If you stuff your face with food like the article mentions you'll get your wish.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
First thought when I saw topic name. "They going to tax fat people? Good motivation to work out!They should also do it in US" LOL. I guess it is time to sleep.

That may be a good idea!

If you're over-weight you will pay 10% to 30% penalty over regular tax, but if you're under-weight you will get a credit of 10% to 30% of the regular tax !

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If you stuff your face with food like the article mentions you'll get your wish.

of course. butter, cheese and milk... things humans have grown up with for centuries if not millennia. in moderation, not a problem; however, I feel sugar in any amount is a much greater problem to public health.

What?

The Danes would have little if not for their pork production.

Christmas trees, fish, and pork.

Have you ever had the Baby Back Ribs at Chili's? You've had Danish pork.

Of course the Danes would tax cheese. I can only think of one variety of Danish cheese; Havarti. All their neighbors to the south and west have at least one variety of cheese. The Dutch, Swiss, and the Germans have many world famous varieties apiece. The French and Italians even more. Britain has like 700 varieties of cheese.

Just to not offend the Danes, I like Havarti. Especially with a little Danish ham with lettuce and tomato on Braums whole oat bran bread

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The Danes would have little if not for their pork production.

Christmas trees, fish, and pork.

Have you ever had the Baby Back Ribs at Chili's? You've had Danish pork.

Really? Wow, learn something every day. Id have thought that our pork comes from somewhere in the midwest since Cincinnati was the pork capital at one point. Seems costly to import ribs to Chili's... But good info!

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Food is generally excluded from sales tax.

even worse, farming is usually subsidized with tax dollar.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
great! US really needs this law.

Are you serious? You want government deciding what's best for you....and then tax you when you don't obey?
I'm shocked at some of the posts here and what little thought has gone into allowing this kind of power to be in the hands of ANY government....let alone suggesting that WE should do this.
Wow.

The flip side would be to deny government provided health care to people who do not follow reasonably healthy lifestyle.

All the more reason that I don't believe a role of government is to provide health care. Enabling any government to control aspects of our lives as personal as to subscribe to a certain 'lifestyle' is really out of bounds.

wink.gif

We'll see about that when you reach age 65.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Are you serious? You want government deciding what's best for you....and then tax you when you don't obey?
I'm shocked at some of the posts here and what little thought has gone into allowing this kind of power to be in the hands of ANY government....let alone suggesting that WE should do this.
Wow.

The government already does with tobacco tax.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The government already does with tobacco tax.

Tax on one hand....then try and put the tobacco farmers out of business. Governments like that are just grand.
Don't agree with taxing a commodity any heavier than is appropriate for any other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back