Delvac vs Rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of these oils seems to be held in high regard. In terms of the 15w40 dino which one is better? I'm considering switching from GTX high mileage to one of these or perhaps the synthetic versions after the auto-rx treatments.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by mebanditws6:
Both of these oils seems to be held in high regard. In terms of the 15w40 dino which one is better? I'm considering switching from GTX high mileage to one of these or perhaps the synthetic versions after the auto-rx treatments.

Both are good oils, but the Rotella 15w40 has a rather high pour point (even for a 15wXX oil). I wouldn't use it during the winter months if the temp ever flirts with 32*F or below.

Don't forget to consider Pennzoil 15W-40 and Chevron Delo 400 15W-40. I think that the Pennz is the only one of the four that contains moly.

My (often flawed) opinion of the quality rankings of the 15W-40s are this (and subject to lots of discussion):
1) Schaeffer
2) Pennz
3) Mobil Delvac
3-tie) Chevron Delo 400
5) Shell Rotella-T

Ken

Ken,

Nothing wrong with your assesment of the 15W40 oils. The only thing that I would say is that the Shell Rotella T is a distant 5. And I base that on the pour point, so use in the Northern States in the winter could be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back