Delvac ingredient "Olefin Sulfide"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having seen two or three Delvacs using 1-5% of Polybutenes along the lines of Lucas I looked through others and saw two of them containing Olefin Sulfides

In case someone doesn't mind to comment: You probably have a week or so now over here
c065.gif

Take a look at this Lubrizol link

Hehe, that line made you hurry up, didn't it? That's great, neighbour Willson.
Unfortunately google sent there and to the other thread instead of finding much about it regarding engine oil applications – perhaps they're Polysulfides.

Having seen two or three Delvacs using 1-5% of Polybutenes along the lines of Lucas I looked through others and saw two of them containing Olefin Sulfides

In case someone doesn't mind to comment: You probably have a week or so now over here
c065.gif
Certain butenes, depending on their molecular weights, can be used as oil thickeners or as oil film enhancers in 2-cycle oils.

Olefin sulfides have little relation to the above.

Olefin sulfides (usually in an ester) are often used in conjunction with certain phosphite chemistry as an anti-wear compound.

Yes, looking for some more Delvac Diesel oils with PIB had only been how I stumbled across those others with the Olefin Sulfides and been the explanation how I got to the other thread. It seemed reusable to me when asking about the background (or limitations, caveats etc.) of such Olefin Sulfides in rather regular Delvac HDEO (no CK-4 but ACEA E4, E6, E7, E9).

Picking out one chemistry or one component is like jousting Windmills, because there are almost an infinite number of possible chemistry mixes for any one application.

The important thing to look for and to realize is that the finished, formulated lubricant have the required API, ILSAC ACEA, etc., classification and that it meets the requirements for or has coverage for your application.

Alrighty, it read uncommon for me, triggered some associations, questions and ideas, but I'm never expecting answers, not even for my application. Will skim a few more patents and .pdfs in the direction of sulphur and engine oil EP and call it a day.

Thank you, gentlemen. All good, as the influential generation likes to end.

Impressions in before the lock:

A british and a few caribbean Delvac-SDS have codes in their Olefin Sulphide line which the TOTAL Rubia TIR 9900 FE 5W-30 also shares (unlike the Delvac this was not dual rated "SN")

Screenshot 2021-01-11 140039.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot 2021-01-11 140207.jpg

To my cluelessness this seems to fit the ester idea better than my simple imaginations.

But different codes are found for european Dexos1 Gen2 oils, codes shared with metalworking fluids, cutting oils and gear oils.
These sound like "Sulfurized Octene" being much like an option mentioned in US 2003/0171222 A1 (or US 6,689,723 B2).

Screenshot 2021-01-11 141329.jpg

Last edited:
There is no need to list the patent applications; just post the pertinent US OR EU patent number. Anyone who is really interested in the patent can google it.

Just wondering, what exactly is your point?

Yes, I had asked initial questions in the context of at least the other thread about gear oil additives and cetainly shouldn't have opened this one, I regret. (Or I should have started it by starting all over and ultimately ending by essentially paraphrasing much of what I wanted to reference by citing [0002], [0026], [0031] and [0083] from the patent application, just in case anyone could want me to extend from there. Well...)

Fortunately it won't matter much if it's more the questions there or the bits and pieces here that I'm failing to communicate when falsely expecting the reader to click the link. I shall try to not repeat any of these mistakes. I'm also often wondering much but it got better already.

Thank you all, it's obviously run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back