Delvac & Delo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iread about those oils;
Aren't they both designed for diesel engines?
I see people use them in gas engines in new cars!...is that advisable?
Are they rated suitably for gas engines? SL? sj? etc
In what conditions would such an oil be acceptable in a not-so-old car?

What are the different grades available in thses 2 oils?

Thanks for the advice....

Diesel oils are generally excellent for gas engines, the exception being some Asian catalytic converters are damaged by the EP additives like phosphorus. That is why they do not carry the ISLAC GF-3 cert. My Audi allows these additives and these oils work excellent in the required 40 weight applications, like mine. The EP additives are needed in boosted turbos and 5-valve heads like Audi where valvetrain pressures are similar to diesels. Basicly, you have a low-rev V8 push-rod engine, a truck engine. What could be better than a truck (fleet) oil for it? 15w-40 is the standard weight, but I think Dello comes on a 10w-30. I use the synthetic Rotella T 5w-40 and leave it in for 6 months up to 10,000 miles. PS what you call diesel oil is "mixed-fleet" oil, for both gas and diesel.

[ October 07, 2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

Most common Diesel Oils are generally also set up to be used in Mixed Fleets. If you look at the big three in 15w40 grades- Chevron Delo 400, Mobil Delvac 1300, and Shell Rotella T - all of them carry the SL designation for use in gasoline motors.

When you start moving to the other grades (like 10w30, 5w40, and apparently Chevron has a Delo in 0w30, though I've never seen it) be a bit careful as some of them that I have seen in stores do not carry the SL rating, but gnerally they have the SJ rating. My guess is these oils don't move as fast - and thus some old stock still exists.

Right now I'm running the Shell Rotella T 5w40 in my '88 Jeep Cherokee. Of course it only requires an SF/CC rated oil!

I sent an email to our local Mobil about using Delvac 1 in my Ford V8, and this was the reply

quote:

The preferred Mobil 1 for your 1995 V8 Ford fairlane dual fuel is
Mobil 1 5w50 . Delvac 1 5w40 would be too high in detergent for this
type of engine. If I can help further ,please give me a call on free call
number 1800 033 863 between 830 am and 430 pm Monday to Friday kind
regards Ken Brens

MOBIL LUBELINE free call 1800 033 863 fax 03 9286 5148

My question is, what is wrong with using a high detergent oil in a LPG/petrol engine?

Dave

[ October 08, 2003, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

s'man,
95% LPG 5% petrol. I am currently using Penrite HPR Gas (20W-60)in summer and Castrol GTX Gas (15W-40) in winter. My interest in Deisel oil is purely academic.

cheers
Dave

Dave flick the Penrite and maybe the GTX. Recent Timken testing shows BP Autogas 15W40 an exceptional performer and cheap as. BP distributor the best place to purchase as they appear to sell at trade price to anybody off the street (well they do here).

One of the critical factors when running LPG is Group II and it's resistence to nitration and oxidation.
Here they sell some cheap group I sc/cc oils for LPG use and the engines have seious problems.

I use Delo in new and old gasoline vehicles, diesel vehicles, and my LPG fork lift.

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
... the exception being some Asian catalytic converters are damaged by the EP additives like phosphorus. That is why they do not carry the ISLAC GF-3 cert.

Nothing heavier than 30 weight receives a GF-3 pass. (As far as GF-3 is concerned, the issue is being able to state "Energy Conserving" in the API "doughnut", not phosperous content.) I'm unaware that Japanese and Korean catalytic convertors are any less robust than those fit to domestics, nor have I ever come across any warnings about catalytic convertor damage from using mixed fleet oils on any of the rice burners I've owned. (One Toyota, four Hyundais, and a Honda)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back