Delvac 5w-40 in place of Brand X 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 6-cylinder Mercury Villager, nothing special about it, and am wondering if I can use a 5w-40 diesel oil in place of the standard 5w-30 stuff?

No special reason, just wondering.

Thanks,
Dennis

Yup, you can. No need to, but you can. D1 is an excellent oil; basically overkill in most applications.

If it's a Vulcan, it could care less if you use 5w-20 or 15w-40. Try and get some decent length of service out of D1. It's one of the best oils on the planet. I think a year would not be too long if you do enough at temp driving ..maybe even if you don't.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
anyone ever tried this in an engine spec'd for 20?

I'm running it in my 5.4L right now.

This is a 2.3l 4, though.... I do, however, drive the SNOT out of it. I'm a believer that it won't cause harm, even though it's thicker. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
This is a 2.3l 4, though.... I do, however, drive the SNOT out of it. I'm a believer that it won't cause harm, even though it's thicker. Thoughts?

It won't cause any problems. It is a fantastic oil, I run it in everything I own at the moment.

M1 5W-40 TDT does appear similar to Delvac 1 ESP but there are some differences in physical properties and big difference in the number of specifications met. Big difference in price too!

Not many places sell Delvac 1 ESP. One online place sells 4 one gallon jugs for $142 so that's $8.88 per quart. Shipping costs extra.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Delvac 1 isn't made anymore since it's been replaced by Delvac 1 ESP. What are you people who use or want to use Delvac 1 referring to? Old stock or the ESP version?

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_ESP_5W-40.asp

I'm running the CI-4+ version of M1 TDT, which is essentially the same thing as the older CI-4+ version of Delvac 1 (and has the same huge list of approvals).

Yes, we have old stock in Canada. I haven't even SEEN any Mobil CJ-4 stuff up here yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can, no problem. I think I'd rather grab a jug of Pennzoil Platinum or QS Horsepower 5W-30 and save a few bucks...

Or get the PP (5 qts.) at Advance Auto with a M1 filter for $25...

Another good, cheaper alternative would be Rotella Syn. While maybe not quite the product D1 is, it's still VERY quality in my mind and probably overkill in most applications.

Anyone else weighing in here? :)

Is it safe to say that the new TDT is still a very stout oil?

Which is thinner...TDT, D1, or RTS?

All are very stout oils. I would say the M1 oils are 'stouter' than RTS, but RTS is cheaper. All are about the same thickness, between 14.8 and 15.1 cst @100C.

RTS typically only has to do half the job (in terms of longevity) to pay for itself over D1 ..and maybe TTD/SUV depending on where you can buy them. D1 is about the same as DEO ..$30/gallon+/-. RTS is much less. I could run RTS for 6 months where I would have to get almost a year out of D1. I could probably get a year out of both, but I doubt that I could get 2 years out of D1.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
If it's a Vulcan, it could care less if you use 5w-20 or 15w-40. Try and get some decent length of service out of D1. It's one of the best oils on the planet. I think a year would not be too long if you do enough at temp driving ..maybe even if you don't.

The Villager has a Nissan powertrain (3.0 L v6). This engine can take a 30 or 40 weight according to Nissan. Thus, any xW40 will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back