Delvac 1300 vs. Rotella T Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting this in the gas engine section because I'm going to run one of these oils in three gas engines. Which one has better detergency, and which one would be better for a gasser. Cost aside, which one would you guys run?

Although they are both HDEO's, it's like comparing apples to oranges...ones group II and six dollars a gallon while the other is a XHVI group III coming in at twelve dollars a gallon.

My answer in regards to which one to run would depend upon climate and application.

I'm sorry to put so little info in that first post, I was squeezed for time. This oil will be used in an '85 Accord with 236,000 miles, a 91 Caddy with 190,000 miles, and a Plymouth Voyager with 137,000 miles.
I'm probably going to go with Delvac 1300 since it meets 10W specs, and that's good enough for year round use here. That, and the local Wal-Mart only has CH-4 rated Rotella T synthetic, and I don't want to go through the hassle of getting them to update their stock...

Not at all, if we see twenty degrees F we consider that a very cold day. It rarely gets that cold. Ten degrees is unthinkable!! We're a bunch of weather wussies up here!! : )

I've used both extensively and really like the Delvac. In your HM application, synthetic may not be the ticket. Rotella syn is a great oil at lower temps and in a newer, high-revving or turbo engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Geoff:
Regular Rotella 15w-40 is a Group II base oil.

yes...
dunno.gif

Thanks for all the very quick input guys! I'm going to go with Delvac 1300. I'll let you guys know if anything notable happens.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
I've used both extensively and really like the Delvac. In your HM application, synthetic may not be the ticket. Rotella syn is a great oil at lower temps and in a newer, high-revving or turbo engine.

I too have used used both extensivly. The Rotella syn is really good for cold starts, but it seems to have some solubility problems. Group III and group IV oil do have solubility issues that most of the oil companies have overcome, but I think Shell has a bit further to go. I experienced this problem with the CH rated Rotella syn, but haven't tried the CI rated Rotella syn yet.

From experience, I do believe that Delvac and Delo are the finest HDEO's on the planet.

Chevron Delo 400 can't be beat . Check the oil anaylsis' Imo Mobil 1300 places lower on uoa numbers than the common hdeo's. The Group 1 oils are self polluting crap that is not worth putting in an engine . I was a diehard syn. oil user untill I saw the results of the "hydroisomerized base oils", seems that unless real cold is involved the hdeo's hydro oils can't be beat . Although, Delvac 1 or Amsoil diesel ,marine oil would be a good choice in a synthetic with a cushion for the cold.

[ July 22, 2004, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Chevron Delo 400 can't be beat . Check the oil anaylsis' Imo Mobil 1300 places lower on uoa numbers than the common hdeo's. The Group 1 oils are self polluting crap that is not worth putting in an engine . I was a diehard syn. oil user untill I saw the results of the "hydroisomerized base oils", seems that unless real cold is involved the hdeo's hydro oils can't be beat . Although, Delvac 1 or Amsoil diesel ,marine oil would be a good choice in a synthetic with a cushion for the cold.

Steve , I like you and think your a nice guy but can you provide ABSOLUTE proof the Chevron oil you speak of is ENTIRELY comprised of group II ?

Until then, it's group I/III with the marjority being group II in my books and that does not inclide group II+ .... Diesels don't need it...yet
tongue.gif

The caps are not shouting , an effort as an exclamation of sorts .

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Motorbike, stop teasing and tell me.

None of those oils are comprised entirely of group II .

The high levels of Ca and Mg in HDD oils are a reflection of both the high level of detergency and the TBN. The high TBN is established by "over basing" the organic acid detergents. This is accomplished by adding excess Ca and/or Mg hydroxide to the detergent package. This allows the additive package in HDD oils to neutralize acids for a longer time than PCMOs. The limit for addition of over-based detergent is solvency. Add too much and the additives will drop out of solution.

Thus the need of good ole group I as the additve pack carrier .

We need not worry Bill , neither of us have Diesel engines ........ unless you have a new car/truck you have not told me about
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
None of those oils are comprised entirely of group II .

Can you provide ABSOLUTE proof thant none of those oils are comrpised entirely of Group II?

grin.gif

Motorbike: I got the information from www.rotella.com in their forum. The moderators are Shell employees and in one post confirmed the Group II base oil formulation. Try posting there if you need further details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back