Delvac 1300 for LT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys i've been lurking here for 2 years and decided to join tonite. it seems my car is in need of an oil change (i change it every 3000-4500 miles) i run Mobil 1 5w40 Truck and suv in my caprice and i went to wally-world to get my usual 5 quart jug and to my suprise it was labeled 5w30, in fact all of them were. then i heard some good things about delvac 1300 and was wondering what you guys thought of it. if it seem alright to you guys then ill keep running it. i believe my local autozone only has 15w40, will this be ok? sorry for the long post, i just want to be sure.

TIA

-Brett-
cheers.gif

I wouldn't run Delvac 1300 15w40 in the winter in NJ. See if you can get Shell Rotella T-Syn 5w40. Save the Delvac, Delo, Rotella 15w40 for the warmest 6 months.

i can get the rotella t there. wouldn't the 15w40 be almost the same as a 5w40? sorry im new to oils
frown.gif

No. The ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5w40 is made with different basestocks and will pump through your engine much better in the cold winter weather during engine startup and as the engine gets up to temperature.

dosen't delvac come in 5w40? only reason i want diesel oil is because i've heard they have more deterganted in them.

-Brett-

mobil changed the truck and suv to 5w30 as you noted. The Mobil 5w40 now says it is for diesels, but the only thing that has changed is the name. Should be with the other Mobil oils, if not, walmart may not have it in yet.

Rotella T synthetic 5w40(4 quart blue jug) is sold(or should be) at walmart. With those fairly short change intervals it would be great and cheaper than Mobil.

You can use the regular 15w40 when it gets a little warmer outside.

Even during the warm parts of the summer, does anybody ever think 15w40 would be hard on the oil pump/drive in a vehicle that calls for 5/10w30?

Diesel engine oils (sometimes called HDEOs) are rated by the API with a service designation such as CI-4. Gasoline engine oils (PCMOs) are designated with SL or SM. See this for more info:

http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/ACF2AF.pdf

Some oils are categorized for use in both:

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/RotellaTSynthetic.pdf

Some people like to use Diesel engine oils in cars equipped with flat-tappet cams because they have more additives. The LT-1 has roller lifters so it's not really necessary.

Are oils this thick needed in this engine? Personally, I don't believe so. However, I don't know the condition of this engine and he was already using a 5w40 so I was just giving him alternatives.

Well, the oil's you mentioned above are formulated so that they can be used in diesels (given it matches the specs required), and gasoline engines - often mentioned as being great for mixed fleet needs.

Talking about oils that are specific and only meeting the needs of a diesel or a gasoline engine, things start to happen.

Diesel spec. oil's tend to be high in sulfur additives I think, which lends them to have a higher test value for sulfated ash. This might be attributed to additive compounds liken to detergency and dispersents. Also common in elevated levels of the multi-functional ZDDP (anti-weld agent, anti-oxident....). Diesel oil's also have a higher TBN or ph number to combat the acid production potential over an OCI as diesel fuel has higher sulfur content than gasoline. Using these oils in a gasoline engine from what little I've read, could lead to spark plug fouling, sensor/cat malfunction/fouling, possibly bearing corrosion (make-up specific) and tend not to favor fuel efficiency in low load situations over passenger car formulations.

Gasoline oils share many of these additives, but at reduced or disproportioned amounts because of differing fuel properties (related to impact of blow-by products), operating conditions so as to balance the limited volume add pack to best meet the needs of lubricant and lubrication needs - diesel engines spend more time in situations that benefit from extreme pressure and boundry protection adds and with such high load use, have less benefit from adds that increase low load economy. Gasoline engines on the other hand are operated for less time per start; I'm thinking considerably more running time with the oil not having reached operating temperature and thus having to deal with issues of water on a more frequent basis; have lower exhaust gas temp. averages and compression/combustion pressures; use a fuel with less potential acid forming combustion by-products; would seem to spend more time operating in situations that result in full-film/mixed film lubrication states.

It would seem that there's no perfect formula for either engine, far as it's been mentioned, the two class of fuels require different levels of attention, the two engine types not only having different fuel introduction and combustion perameters by design, but also different placement in the fields of powered industry which from my view at the present comes down to selection by load demands over the engine's useful life (diesels taking the blunt of it).

There's much more to diesel vs. gasoline engine oil, for this is only what I've come across thus far and recall at this moment.

biggthumbcoffe.gif
and
welcome.gif

i was just wondering on another oil becuase mobil's 30w oils run like thick 20 weights and thats the reason for me running M1 5w40 truck and suv in my car. also i haven't seen the "new" version of M1's jug for their 5w40. so i take it i shouldn't get the shell rotella or the delvac 1300 then? i don't really care if the oil affects fuel economy; if i was then i wouldn't have bought a V-8; protection over economy

-Brett-

the engine has 157k miles on it. burns no oil runs strong, compression is strong, overall...strong.

-Brett-

Delvac 1300s actually cranks better that a 15w, probably like a 10w, so as long as the sub 25F mornings are over, then I'd recommend Delvac. I'd also do an A-Rx cleaning too.

The new M1 Xw30s are a little bit thicker than they have been in the past. If you don't find the ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5w40 appealing, you might want to try German Castrol 0w30 which can be found at AutoZone and other places possibly. Look in the GC & Euro/Import Oils section for more info.

Rotella, Delvac 1300, Delo 400 would do just fine in warm weather.

Cold weather use 10w30 Rotella HDEO, they sell it at AdvanceAuto.

i find the rotella very apealing, and i don't recall it getting sub 25 out here. (im only 19
smile.gif
) i will keep my eye oot for the 5w40 delvac and the 5w40 rotella as long as they are both full synthetics, because i was at napa today looking at it and couldn't find whether or not it was a synyhetic.

Buddy, run the Delvac 1300S. It's a super-smooth oil. You are used to 40 weight anyway. Since you are doing short OCIs, it's perfect. Don't worry about cold-cranking w/ a 15w. Down to +20f is fine, probally lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back