Delvac 1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Delvac 1 be ok to use in a 4cyl? I'm still searching for the oil I will be using this summer. If not, I'll run the 10w-30.

I spoke with a Mobil tech today and he said he has never seen any Mobil oil thin out to a 20wt. Unbelievable......
rolleyes.gif

ya, I've used delvac1 in four cylinder engines before with great results. Our sienna made mobil1 5w30 become a 20wt
smile.gif

--Matt

Thanks, I think I'll try D1 or 0w-40. Should do fine. I'll take a hit in MPG but I'll gain in consumption.
smile.gif

[ March 06, 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Would Delvac 1 be ok to use in a 4cyl? I'm still searching for the oil I will be using this summer. If not, I'll run the 10w-30.

I spoke with a Mobil tech today and he said he has never seen any Mobil oil thin out to a 20wt. Unbelievable......
rolleyes.gif

That guy must not have looked at any Trisynthetic 5w30 UOAs then.

Patman, would you be able to explain the whole consumption issue with oils? I'm not as knowledgable many on here and I'm not quite understanding why and how certain oils thin out and have consumption problems.
Example:
0w-40 has a 40wt spread but weighs in at 14.3cSt. This would obviously thin to maybe a 30wt. but would my engine use more of this then a 10w-30 @ 9.8 cSt?? I'd appreciate your help with this.
cheers.gif
smile.gif

I think I'm getting the cSt and VI improvers mixed up on this issue. The 0w-30 I'm running now is a 10.1 cSt and my car is drinking it.
frown.gif

[ March 06, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

buster,
I don't know if this will apply to you, but is your car in mechanically sound condition? I thought my truck was after taking it to the dealership for its 120K service. They didn't check the PCV valve which was about 95% clogged. It is a $6 part for my truck but its cost me more than that due to burned oil and loss of mpg. As I was advised on this board, the MECHANICAL problem should be taken care of, not cover it up with a thicker oil. If the PCV valve is OK then I think a compression test would be in order.
****Anyone please correct me or add too if this is not sound advise.
cheers.gif

quote:

Patman, would you be able to explain the whole consumption issue with oils? I'm not as knowledgable many on here and I'm not quite understanding why and how certain oils thin out and have consumption problems.
Example:
0w-40 has a 40wt spread but weighs in at 14.3cSt. This would obviously thin to maybe a 30wt. but would my engine use more of this then a 10w-30 @ 9.8 cSt?? I'd appreciate your help with this.
cheers.gif
smile.gif

I think I'm getting the cSt and VI improvers mixed up on this issue. The 0w-30 I'm running now is a 10.1 cSt and my car is drinking it.
frown.gif

When it comes to oil consumption, one of the most important factors to look at is the Noack volatility numbers. Lower is better. You had good luck with Amsoil, so why not go back to it? Amsoil 5w30 would probably give you the least consumption of just about any oil you'll find. And it would be cheaper than Delvac, which would just hurt your MPG anyways. I think Delvac 1 is too thick for your Toyota.

I was thinking Delvac migh be too heavy. NOAK's are relatively similar with M1 and Amsoil though. I thought it had more to do with VI's or cSt.
smile.gif

I was under the impression that Mobil 1's (around 9-10%) numbers were somewhat more than Amsoil(about 6%). Whether this is due to the inherent higher starting viscosity or blend of their oil or due to heavier use of esters vs PAOs in the higher viscosity end like Redline, I am unsure. I do remember something MK wrote about Redline using esters at the higher viscosity or temp range vs Mobil using esters in the lower end and PAOs at the higher end to extend their range in a post about NOAK numbers.

quote:

[qb] When it comes to oil consumption, one of the most important factors to look at is the Noack volatility numbers.
I'd have to disagree here.. All the vehicles that I have had that consumed oil did so at an fixed consumption which did not really depend on conditions which would drive volatility higher (ie) Hard driving in higher temperatures. If I switched to heavier oils the consumption slowed. Also I have had two vehicles which did not drastically change consumption when switching to synthetic-although it did help. I don't argue that volatility is an issub. But I would argue that in the greater number os cases that ring/cylinder conditions are the biggest issue
smile.gif

I really think it is the quality of Mobil's VI's that cause all of there thinning and oil consumption. I think Lubrizol makes better VI's if that is what Amsoil uses. I just picked up the 10w-30 M1 and am going to put that in this weekend. I'm frustrated at the fact that after 1k miles I've used 3/4 of a qt.

I spoke to Mobil tech. today and I'd have to say they are the worst tech. dept. I've ever had experience with. Amsoil has it all over these guys. I can't even begin to tell you how many stupid things I was told today. They don't even know there own product. Horrible service.

Mobil 1's (around 9-10%) for NOAK. They got this right.

[ March 07, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Throttle body is fine, I clean that out. PCV valve was ok last time I checked, but it could use another look. I think this time it's the oil. M1 0w-30 is known to have these problems. I had the coolant system pressure checked and they found no leaks. I also drive 75-80 mph. S2000 didn't burn as much.
smile.gif

Malibu
wink.gif
The PCV valve was probably already clogged prior to ARX use as I had the oil burning problem early last summer. It did a lot of cleaning, but I'm "guessing" its not designed to unclog PCV valves
rolleyes.gif

Buster,

Run a 5w-40 or 10w-40 synthetic and this consumption will be reduced by at least 50% ....I think Delvac 1 is an excellent choice.

Ted

Ted, are you sure a 40wt. isn't too heavey for a 4cyl?
smile.gif

Buster , I've run 10w-40 Castrol GTX exclusively in my 4-cyl Nissan pickup since it was new. Never had a lick of a problem that could be even remotely related to the oil viscosity. 95K miles. Changed religiously at 3K.

quote:

Ted, are you sure a 40wt. isn't too heavey for a 4cyl?
smile.gif

You'll be fine-especially with the Delvac. I have the 5W-40 RotellaT Syn (Group III) in my Toyota 22RE. It runs fine even in the extremely cold weather here in Pa. this winter. Before I switched to the Rotella (for no reason) I used to mix 25% 15W-50 in with my 10W-30 Mobil 1.

Great, thanks guys. I look forward to running Delvac. With all the miles I do, this should be a greata choice for the summer and I won't have to check/add oil as frequently. Now, I just have to find it. No one has it around here (south jersey). Maybe Walmart.
smile.gif

Buster if a 40W is 'too heavy' for 4cyl's the majority of cars here should be dead on the side of the highway including mine that ran Penrite 'Turbo' 25W70 for a long time as did all my mates turbo cars around here!!! A 40W at least would be the std in the rest of the world bar U.S for an identical engine. As soon as a car lands in the U.S an engines viscosity requirement 'magically' drops a grade or more. Yeah I better get that M1 0W40/Delvac 1 5W40 mix outa my 626 GT when I get home even though fuel check today shows a slight improvement in economy.

True, the US is concerned more about MPG which is why this happens. Thanks.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back